Wednesday, March 30, 2016

In Progress: Knitting, Stitching, Reading

The healing power of a week of vacation is amazing. I returned to school yesterday feeling happy to see my students and ready to tackle another quarter. 

It seems like I'm in the middle of a million projects, but I don't really want to know how many I have on the go! So, I'll just share a couple of them. First up is the first Bat Mitzvah sock, the Rosa Rubiginosa Sock from The Knitter's Curiosity Cabinet. 
 I don't know if you can tell, but the lace goes down the top of the foot in a triangle shape, which is a fun twist.

My Door County Cross Stitch is slow going. I find that I need to do this in natural light (which couldn't possibly be a result of my age, could it?). Stitching a lot of white floss on white Aida cloth might be a factor, too.
I like the way it is coming out, which is good because it's going to be a long process.

I am almost done with Baker Towers by Jennifer Haigh, and I highly recommend this story of a family in Pennsylvania coal country. The book follows the characters through the second half of the 20th century, a type of book that has been done a million times. Often these books are predictable or silly; not this one. Baker Towers is well-written with characters that feel real. It's the kind of book to curl up with for a good long read.
Next up is The Prize by Dale Russakoff, which tells the story of Mark Zuckerberg's failed donation to the school district in Newark, NJ.  I expect to enjoy this one. I'm not a Zuckerberg fan.

I'm joining up with Ginny to Yarn Along.

14 comments:

  1. I knew you would like the book! Me too :) I gave up stitching because I couldn't see. Now that I wear glasses all the time I should give it a go once more...maybe. I have various projects going on too and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun socks! Very wearable color. Xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to get 4.00 strength reading glasses to do my stitching IN natural light. Ouf....Yours is looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Door County name of your cross stitch got me to click on your profile page. Hello fellow Wisconsinite! (I live near Manawa in east central WI) Did you happen to go to the Madison Knit-In? My friend taught an afternoon class on Sun. so we went down together and I took a class while she taught one. I was surprised by how much smaller the Knit-In marketplace was this year compared to last.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely sock and real pretty stitches! I just got back into stitching. I thought I would have difficulty but I find as long as I have good light and my glasses I'm OK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the baker tower reminder....never did order that last week and i meant to !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They say confession is good for the soul!!! Fess up, just how many WIPs do you have going?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much happening! I am glad you are enjoying being back and school and hope that you don't lose your eye sight on that white! My mom cross stitches and she has the same issues when she does it for extended periods.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im so happy you felt good with your break and after. You teachers deserve it. Zach is in Mexico on his break and he is enjoying himself tremendously. I love your sock. I love the triangle part on the foot. Just smart enough because that's about the only part one sees when there are shoes on

    ReplyDelete
  10. White floss and black floss just seem to take extra time to get just right. Your project looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you had a great break! IMHO, teachers and kids need that. Love your projects especially the cross stitch and also that stunning blue sock.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sock is a very cool design. The triangle over the foot of the sock is a nice detail, unusual even. It's a good sign that you have enjoyed the Baker towers as much as you have given it's not an unusual story. Means the writing itself is actually good. That's refreshing. Sometimes I feel like I excuse writing because the story in itself is rather interesting even if the writing is a bit lackluster. White floss on white aida cloth, yeah that's not an easy one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you are rested and ready for the week at school. I think I need a wee vacation just to mosey around and get things done.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've done well on the house! White on white would be hard. I'm also having trouble with my cross stitch; it's only two colours! I find I can't take it around with me in the car or to the kids swimming lessons like knitting or embroidery. You really need good light and dedicated time.

    ReplyDelete