Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A Sleeve, Some Books, and Snow!

I'm hoping the fourth time will be the charm. This is my fourth attempt at knitting an adult sweater. And I just won't feel like a "real" knitter until I can wear a sweater that I knit myself! My first three attempts ended up in the garbage; that will not happen this time as I'm using good yarn (Briar Rose). Without further ado, I present the first sleeve of Harriet's Jacket:
It fits so far, which is more than I can say about my previous attempts!

I picked up these two books at the library yesterday:
I love Cathie Pelletier's novels, and A Year After Henry is as good as her previous books. The story is set one year after Henry's death through the eyes of his wife, mistress, and brother. Sixty pages in, I'm mesmerized.  Even though I couldn't finish Just Kids, Patti Smith's first memoir, I picked up M Train. We'll see if it grabs me.

I finished Life Drawing and it was OK. I will warn you that it gets very, very dark as it nears the end.

Yesterday I was able to take this photo:
Finally we got enough snow (barely) to get out the cross country skis! My friends are in better shape than I, so I had to struggle to ski for 90 minutes -- but I did it! It felt great. If I could ski all year round, I would be in great shape. It's the only exercise that I truly love.

Afterward we went to one friend's house for hot chocolate. A perfect afternoon!

Looking forward to catching up with everyone in the post-Christmas week with Ginny's Yarn Along.

17 comments:

  1. Glad you finally got your snow AND a sweater that will fit. Sounds like a perfect week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh snow, I am kinda forgetting what that looks and feels like!
    We are having really sunny weather for this time of the year, sometimes cloudless which is very weird, and no snow to talk of just yet.
    Happy New Year.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Jacket. YOU WILL SUCCEED. !!!
    Cross country is so fun when its kind of warm out!
    Off to read GINNY"S posts. THanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that pattern is based on one of my favorite (and funnest) patterns! And on large needles. Maybe I'll try it, too! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have two of Pelletier's novels I can send you if you haven't read them. I'll messag you on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blue yarn - good luck with the sweater. Snow - it is going to be boiling hot here again for the next few days, so enjoying looking at everyone's snow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't know pelletier...and it sounds as if i need to. thanks for sharing. cheering on your sweater attempt....it's my 'year' of sweaters coming up. (I figure if i tell enough people, they will make me stick to it!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SNOW!!!! It's still warm here so no hope for us but yay for you. I love cross country too. I did a bit in my long ago youth when snow was something we had around here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY! Your sweater is off to a good start with beautiful yarn. I love running in the snow. It keeps you from over-heating during the workout. I went for my first 3-mile jog at the new house tonight. :) Enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A tin can Knit pattern Sitka Spruce was a favorite Hat pattern that Al knit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, we finally got snow too, but much of it was mixed sleet..

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are kidding, you are a REAL knitter, your knitting is amazing.
    Hugs and Happy New Year!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. That yarn is lovely - the sweater will be such a pretty one!

    I'm jealous that you got snow! But I'm happy that it is finally cold here, after too long of too warm temps.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Downhill skiing, it's been a long time, but would likely still enjoy that. Cross-country skiing? Never! But I'm all in for the hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty
    www.scoopfromahandicapper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness snow! Skiing at home! Nothing like that here, just rain and wind. The sleeve looks gorgeous, I'm sure you will make it to the end of the sweater!

    ReplyDelete