Wednesday, December 23, 2015

On the Needles and Bedside Table

Thank you, Rose, for inspiring me to start a Guernsey Wrap. This Jared Flood pattern is perfect for winter break: cozy and rhythmic.
I'm making it with Peace Fleece, which is heavier (and less expensive!) than Flood's Shelter, which the pattern calls for. I like it, but I'm thinking it might be nicer in the lighter wool. Oh well, I might have to make a second one!

Confession: I am not very good at "reading' my knitting. I read about how other knitters can memorize lace patterns and then knit by watching the pattern emerge. Not me. I need to check the pattern every row or two. I think this might be related to my lifelong struggle with math.

Reading a pattern all the time can be tedious and time consuming. A few weeks ago, while I was shopping for embroidery supplies, I noticed these magnetic pattern boards and wondered if these might speed up pattern reading. 
Ta-da! It works. I love this simple tool!

As for reading, I started a book that has long been on my list, Life Drawing, by Robin Black.
It is billed as a literary thriller -- one of my favorite types of books: intelligent but also engrossing. At least, that's what I'm hoping this one will be.  I have started and put down so many novels lately that it's frustrating. I miss being lost in fiction.

I have a very quiet break planned and it is just what I need after a tough fall at school. Informal gatherings with friends, family time with my parents and kids, and lots of arts and crafts. What could be better?

Wishing a wonderful holiday to my blog friends. Do know that I treasure each and every one of you. Reading your blogs and your comments is one of my favorite activities. Thank you for being part of my life!

Joining up with Ginny for Yarn Along.

16 comments:

  1. Great Guernsey pattern. I have tried those but always give up…I keep goofing up the pattern. Someday I will give it another run. I too have been trying to find a good book to loose myself in..still looking!
    Thanks for reinforcing what is important this season, people not decorations!
    I have moments feeling like the Grinch, but when I’m not into it-I’m just not!
    have a wonderful time off and enjoy your holidays too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yarn shows off the patterns so beautifully! I know, I'm trying to get back into my daily reading habit and it's frustrating when you go through a string of books that don't speak to you! Have you read The Martian? That was a fantastic and hilarious thriller!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your wrap and I really enjoy your blog! Maybe in 2016 we'll meet at the Sheep and Wool Festival

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out! I'm looking forward to picking it back up in 2 days. Meanwhile I'm making quick knits for gifts, but not stressing about any of them, I bought highlighter tape for my charts as I have trouble tracking lines. I'm not using Shelter either; I chose Green Mountain Spinnery Weekend Wool and love it! Happy break to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great wrap! Looks like good fun. Happy merry. Xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, we adore you too. I love that color for the wrap and I think a lighter wool would be nice. Don't talk to me about reading patterns, I just pulled out a stockinette sock! I dunno what kind of knitting under the influence I was doing!

    Wishing you a restful, peaceful and happy holidays.

    Can't wait to find out what you think of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a gorgeous pattern - I love those magnetic markers too - that and post it notes!
    Happy holidays to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not that great at memorizing patterns either unless they're pretty simple. I like that magnetic board idea! What I usually do is pull the pattern up on my iPad and scroll down each row so the current row of the pattern is at the top of the screen. And then I've always got a piece of paper going where I mark off each row as I knit it. The magnet thing seems much more efficient and harder to lose your place!

    I like literary thrillers too and I'm intrigued by the book cover... I'll have to go look it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knit this shawl last summer in a fingering. It doesn't have the lovely texture of a heavier yarn. I might have another go at it. Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to use a similar system, but now I have all my patterns online. I struggle sometimes trying to see which line I am on. The current cabled project forced me to go back to paper copy! I use the clear colored tape that can be removed and repositioned. Love the yarn color!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful wrap. I can see having several of those beauties. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A quiet break sounds perfect, lots of knitting, tea and a thriller.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have several of those magnetic boards. They are a sanity saver for sure!

    Happy breaktime for you! Hope you enjoy every minute of your time off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect solution, using the magnetic board. I've long admired people's projects of this pattern and yours is lovely too. I like the colour very much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect solution, using the magnetic board. I've long admired people's projects of this pattern and yours is lovely too. I like the colour very much!

    ReplyDelete