Sunday, December 20, 2015

Weekend Stuff

There is nothing quite as sweet as the first weekend of winter break. Having two weeks away from work is such a luxury! I do complain about work sometimes, so I want to come clean and admit that the school breaks are an amazing benefit. So many Americans only get two or three weeks off a year and, frankly, that is criminal! We all need to recharge.

My weekend started out with a bang: When I got home from work Friday, my daughter had arrived from Florida.

Yesterday I drove to a suburb on the other side of Madison to take class to learn to make this bracelet:
This leather and beads bracelet is called Beading Insomnia. I saw some samples in the store a few weeks ago and signed up for the class on the spot. I like bracelets that have a cuff-type look. This photo makes the white beads look whiter than they are. They are more subtle in real life.

This evening I am hosting a birthday party for my dear friend Marsha. I am making two kinds of cookies for dessert, one being the Brown Butter Salted Caramel Mocha Cookies pictured below. These are amazing cookies, less sweet and more complex than most cookies.
I'm also going to make the Browniest Cookies from my favorite food blogger, the Smitten Kitchen. Yes, there will be healthy food for dinner to balance out all that sugary richness. But you have to indulge when it's one of the "0" birthdays, don't you? I think it's a law.

I hope everyone has had a lovely weekend and that no one is too stressed about the upcoming festivities!

10 comments:

  1. Very very cool bracelet. Great to branch out a bit with our skills.My teaching son is lying on a beach in Cancun with his arm in his sling. Teachers have it right...more breaks, Long stretches to recover and renew! Enjoy yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, those cookies look fabulous. I agree, I love teaching too, but wouldn't be able to do it without the regular long breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Marsha. Yes, the ones ending in 0 are extra special. Those cookies sure should help.

    The bracelet is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have FUN with your daughter!! so glad she is there :) my kids arrived yesterday and I'm one happy mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss being in school simply for the holiday breaks haha. We all deserve at least a week.
    Love the cookies, swiping that recipe ;)
    May you have a lovely holiday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the break! Vacations are MY FAVORITE!!!!' Xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray, winter break! I'm jealous! I'm stuck at the office over break (used up all my vacation days for maternity leave), and the university is deserted and creepy. The bracelet is gorgeous, and the cookies both sound delish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the cookie links; they sound positively yummy. Glad you're enjoying your break! You deserve it. That bracelet is going to be very pretty; was it hard to do?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bracelet looks like a lot of work! It is going to be beautiful. Have a wonderful time with our daughter.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete