Monday, December 21, 2015

Let's Hear It For Etsy!

I opened a store on Etsy (a web site for artists/crafters to sell their goods) in 2009.  I never found the time to market it. Besides, I am a horrible salesperson. I hate promoting myself. So, of course, I never sold anything.

Then out of the blue, after six quiet years, I get two orders!

It took me about 10 minutes to figure out what had happened when the first one came through last week. I was checking my email at work during lunch, and there was a message saying that someone had sent me money through Paypal. What? At first I was totally stumped. When I figured out why I was getting $14, I was thrilled.
And another order came through this afternoon -- for the button earrings pictured here.

So, I guess I need to get serious about stocking and marketing my Etsy store. I don't think I really believed it would work for me.
Which is kind of funny because I have bought a lot of stuff on Etsy over the years, mostly materials for arts and crafts, but also finished jewelry. Just last week I bought this iron-on cross-stitch pattern from the 1940s and the vintage buttons.

So, maybe by next fall I'll be posting about my Etsy store.  It's obviously too late for holiday gifts this year, but if you want to see what some of my jewelry looks like, you can find my store here.

In the meantime, I hope you are not tied up with last-minute shopping!

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Sounds like you are on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever girl! Love the little gingerbread earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Etsy has always been a mystery to me. There are probably blog posts you can Google for tips on how to be more successful there (e.g., more frequent product listings or something.) It's on my to-do list also. xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I have one too and haven't had many sales but when I do my heart gives a little leap!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the button earrings!!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, congratulations! Sounds like the Universe is telling you the time is right:)
    Good luck with the store next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, congratulations! Sounds like the Universe is telling you the time is right:)
    Good luck with the store next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to take a look... good luck with the Etsy adventure, i'm sure it is going to be an exciting ride !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those earrings are fantastic so I can only imagine you would sell lots of them.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredtih

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's wonderful! I am trying to work out whether it is worth opening an etsy store myself - need to do a bit of research.

    ReplyDelete