Wednesday, December 16, 2015

New Use for Sock Yarn

I know I'm not the only knitter who can't seem to resist buying self-patterning yarn. A lot of people are knitting the Christmas colorway of Heritage Handpaints, and a few days ago I posted my work sock, with a pink and blue pattern of that yarn.

Still, there's a limit to the number plain vanilla socks I want to knit, so I'm trying out a pattern for a hat with self-patterning sock yarn, and so far I love it:
I like the thinner bands you get with a larger diameter. It's just kind of fun to see a variation.

After watching the first season on Amazon Prime, I'm reading The Man in the High Castle.
I actually thought the series went off the tracks in the last two episodes of the season, so I'm liking the book better. It is more subtle and, at least in the first 50 pages, the plot is very different. I think the writers of the TV version got too hung up on building a romance. We'll see if the book continues to hold my interest.

The Madison Knitting Guild met Monday night. Our guest speaker was a fabulous dyer from rural Wisconsin, Kate Wright. She has a retail store in Viroqua and sells her yarn online under the brand name Ewetopia. I didn't snap any pictures, but you can find her fabulous yarn here. It is amazing how many great dyers are out there.

I'll be joining Ginny for Yarn Along. Hope to see you there.

19 comments:

  1. I've been to Ewetopia in it's first location on Mainstreet when we took a little family farm trip to Viroqua when our son, now 9, was 4. I loved Kate's knitted wedding dress which was on display there. Your hat looks like a lot of fun. Being lightweight it will be prefect for that in-between weather or the weird warm winter weather we're having currently. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that sock yarn on the hat! brilliant! the colors are so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hat looks great. I think that yarn will make a nice soft hat. And I like that colorway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hat looks great. I just knit my husband a hat with sock yarn which he loves as it is soft and snug. I bet yours will be wonderful and those colours are so sunny. Tania ~hedgerowharvest~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely hat! I fancied watching that show but Netflix has diverted my attention with Christmas movies at the moment... maybe I'll catch it during the holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even know that was a book! That will definitely be going on my list. I never thought to use sock yarn for a hat, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wanted to branch out with my vast supply of sock yarn and try other things as well. I can't wait to see how this finishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh oh oh . How many did you cast on and what size needles? i want to play too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since hat!!! I love sock yarn but do not always love to knit socks :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo that hat looks good. Keep us posted on how the hat turns out and how you like the pattern! And yes, the weakness for self patterning yarn is strong. I saw an episode of Man in the High Castle. I liked it but I wasn't super wowed. I'm disappointed to hear they want to put romance in my PKD. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great hat and striping yarn. I am a little resistant to stoping yarn as well, though I have been working with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the perfect yarn for a hat. It certainly will bring some happy colors to the grey days of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always love seeing self striping yarn on things other than socks. I still think there needs to be more "Self striping sweaters" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mm I love self patterning yarn, I'm always trying to dye it myself, with poor results.

    ReplyDelete
  15. can't pass up a self striping sock yarn! lovely hat, I've made the sockhead hat a bazillion times just for the very same reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your ha-to-bet and the great colors. There's a very cute kid hat made of sock yarn on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/charlies-sock-yarn-hat I'venot make it yet, but it's on my very long list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make that hat-to-be! Wish we could edit posts.

      Delete
  17. Love that hat, I am not a sock knitter but a hat with self striping yarn would be very fun to make.

    Happy reading!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE self-striping sock yarns, socks or hats. The hat is going to be lovely!

    ReplyDelete