Monday, April 21, 2014

Yes, There Was Yarn

There's a new yarn shop in the District of Columbia, so I had to check it out. Looped, at 1732 Connecticut Ave. NW, is just a few blocks from Dupont Circle. It is very very sweet and cozy. There is a fireplace and lots of space for knitting. I picked up the two skeins of Quince & Co. Chickadee there. Those skeins are destined to become a Gladys Hat.

I picked up the other skeins at Fibre Space in historic Alexandria, Virginia. I've been to Fibre Space before, and was excited to return. It is a large shop with a truly "gourmet" selection of yarns. This yarn was dyed by Neighborhood Fiber Co., which is based in nearby Baltimore. The colors are just exquisite and the yarn is squishy. I see scarves or mitts or hats as their futures. The green will definitely be a present for my sister-in-law Mary. I stayed with her, my brother and their daughter, Rebecca this past week.

We ended up in Alexandria on Saturday because my other niece, Jennifer, was visiting the area. She's studying economics at Davidson College. She's on the left below, with my daughter, Rachel. Mary and I spent the afternoon hanging out with them, which was really fun.

Unfortunately, Rebecca (below, left) only stayed for lunch before heading home with her dad. Rebecca has Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, a disorder of the circulation system that causes fatigue, headaches, dizziness, nausea, and a laundry list of other symptoms. It is so great to see her smiling here, because she is in pain/discomfort a lot of the time. She keeps her spirits high and hopeful, which is so inspiring.
 
The best part of my trip was spending so much time with my family. I hate that we are so far apart!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice visit with family AND with yarn shops. The yarns look very pretty. Can't wait to see them worked up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Looped! Also Fibre Space's new location. You bought my favorite yarn too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous girls ans gorgeous yarn.

    Glad you are having a great time.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful trip! I've spent a good amount of time in Virginia (including a summer teaching job in Richmond), but sadly haven't spent much time in DC or Alexandria.

    ReplyDelete