Wednesday, April 2, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Old and New

It feels like a slog, but I am forcing myself to work on my troubled toe-up sock. My accomplishment so far this week was to get it back onto some needles (after frogging much of it).

I took a good look at sock No. 1 and realized that it has some pretty sloppy work, especially around the short rows because I can't really master picking up wraps. So, I've decided I'll keep this pair for me. I just don't think they are gift quality. And I'm not sure I'll ever try toe-up again!

Spring has still not arrived here. It's been cold and windy and gray. Perhaps that is why I felt compelled to cast on a new project in pink:

It's the Downtown Cowl, free on Ravelry, by Christy Becker. It is designed for variegated wool (to avoid pooling), but I scrolled through the projects on Rav and it looks good in one color, too. I have the urge for a spring/summer cowl, and this seems to fit the bill.

Check out other Works In Progress with Tami Amis here.

14 comments:

  1. The sock looks nice and comfortable to me:) Pretty pink too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the sock looks great! And that cowl pattern is lovely. I love all the pink :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried toe-up socks one time. Someone asked me to test knit their pattern. I really did not enjoy it. I'll stick to my top down socks. ;-)

    The color for your new cowl is lovely. That certainly will bring a nice pop of happy color to your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sock and lovely colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love that PINK . I just put the cowl in my Ravelry library THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Downton Cowl pattern, and it will be chipper and lovely in that pink. Oh socks... I just don't have the sock knitting mojo, though I love wearing handknit socks -- kudos to you for knitting them. I think they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why socks seem so scary to me....toe up top down, heels...ahhh so complicated! But a bright pink cowl sounds like something right up my alley :) That is going to look fab finished! Perfect for summer evenings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't like toe-up when I tried it, either. I was confused about how to get the sizing just right. I might try it again someday but it's been about 3 years and I'm not missing them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love toe-up socks very much, but I don't like the wraps. They seem clumsy, and not attractive in the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that sock is fierce... I can feel the softness and warmth it will provide !

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like a pretty good sock to me, and I'm loving all the pink. I really must get some pink, in a house of boys I need more girl colour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a fan or wrap and turn short rows either, although I do find shadow wraps are tidier than most other kinds. I also find short row heels are often too shallow for my ankles and high insteps. Like anything else you have to try different styles to see what suits you. Lots of pinks today! Maybe you're wishing for spring flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I make toe-up socks, I do a gusset heel. Fits much better, and the only trick is starting it at the right point on your foot.

    ReplyDelete