Wednesday, January 18, 2017

On Knitting and Books

It's the first day of finals at my school, and I am quite overwhelmed with all the things that have to be done by the end of the week. So, it's a good week for some knitting that will take my mind off work

With that in mind, I went stash-diving for yarn to make a pattern from Hilary Grant's Knitting from the North. That always feels good. I found this Knit Picks Telemark yarn, which is sadly discontinued. It is perfect for mittens, so I'll be knitting up...
I just love the peaceful rhythm of this pattern.

My reading is technology based this week. I'm reading News from the World by Paulette Jiles. It started out really well, but in the middle has turned into an old Western with lots of gunfights. Not sure if I'm going to finish this. The writing is beautiful and the characters are incredibly realistic.

I'm listening to The Invisible Bridge by Rick Perlstein on Audible. It's about the fall of President Richard Nixon and the rise of Ronald Reagan. This book is about 36 hours of listening, so it's going to take a while to listen to the entire thing!

I'm joining up with Ginny to Yarn Along.

11 comments:

  1. Love the mitt pattern you selected. Happy Knitting

    Some people slug through books thinking they have to finish them, but I'm not one of them. If the writing does not catch and keep my interest, I find a new book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that pattern too. I received the book as a Christmas gift, and I think nearly every pattern in it is one that I could [someday] see myself trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mitts pattern!!!! I abandon books right and left if they don't please me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mitt pattern is great. I've seen so many excellent reviews on the knitting book. I am tempted.... I have News of the World on hold on overdrive (this I'm 28th or something in line). Will be curious to hear/read if you have finished it. Life it too short to feel you must finish a book that does not bring pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty mittens! I was just telling myself I need a pretty pair of mittens. All of mine are very useful but not very refined.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are such a skilled and adventurous knitter [and reader]. I think it would take me a lifetime to complete what you are working on, but I admire your choices and opinions of both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great book to read right now (err, listen to, lol) And, those mitts are beautiful! Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope all goes well with the exams and that you enjoy your crafting and reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the mitts look quite soothing in design and color :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty mittens! What color? Good luck with exams and all the grading!

    ReplyDelete