Saturday, January 7, 2017

A Finish, A Start, and Work

The second Robson has been cast off and worn a few times. I have to say that I love this pattern. The fabric it makes is so squishy and feels great against my neck, especially on days like today when the temperature is 1 degree above 0.
I'm really excited about the 1 Year of Stitches, an embroidery stitch-along coordinated by  Sara Barnes of Brown Paper Bag. You just hoop a piece of fabric into the hoop size of your choice and embroider at least one stitch a day. Any type of stitching, thread, or fabric is allowed. You're supposed to take a photo  every day, but that's hard to do with such short days here.

Here's mine so far:
 It's not too late to join. You can find all the information here.

I went back to work on Wednesday, and I cannot believe it was only a three-day week. It's Saturday morning and I am exhausted! I really do enjoy my job. High school students are great and my co-workers could not be more supportive. But you say "teen" and I say "crisis." A few of our students are going through terrible times, and I spent more time feeling like a social worker than a teacher. We need more community supports for families! As much as I want to fix everything, I don't have that much power.

And the "best" news of all: Over winter break, the state added more required paperwork for special ed teachers. Really? My new saying is: "Why do I have to deal with students? They just get in the way of paperwork!"

Still, I don't want to end on a downer. I am lucky to work in a great high school that is known for its quality teaching. Moreover, I still genuinely enjoy hanging out with teen-agers. They are smart and funny and provocative. You have to count your blessings, right?

12 comments:

  1. It is a sad state of affairs in teaching these days. It seems the administration is more interested in quantifying facts about the students more than helping the students learn!

    Your Robson is BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dee. That's a shame. I wonder what the new Dept of Ed admin will bring to the table. I have a friend who voted for Trump because he promised to do away with Common Core. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Robson is so beautiful. Im glad you are wearing it. Your students are so lucky to have YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Robson - so much energy and movement in the stitch pattern and the yarn!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh on the new paperwork, what is wrong with the school system in our country? You are still trying to find the positive and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to dealing with teenage crisis, and frankly, I'm glad those days are behind me. I find it terribly sad that so many teenagers struggle with such big issues every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Robeson is gorgeous! Ugh to your paperwork increase. Makes no sense. I honestly don't know how teachers do what they do...and sometimes I even wonder why they do given all they have to deal with. As Kathy said, your students are so very lucky to have YOU in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry there is more paper work. I've always believed that teachers do not get paid enough for all that they do for their students. I would tell my kids (sadly) that in their classes there is someone in crisis, someone with an alcoholic parent and a whole host of sad reality.

    I thank you for all you do, and you might be the only one the student has....bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Robeson! Beautiful! And, I am sorry about the added paperwork that becoming the bane of existence - apparently this makes others think one is working. Such foolishness, imo. I love your stitching as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that scarf of yours! It's a great pattern and a wonderful color-and I am sure very useful in Wisconsin's frigid weather. (It's been a lot of years, but I've not forgotten January in the Midwest.) So sorry the powers that be equate tons of paper work as proof of student progress. Despite it all, teachers change lives, and I'm sure you've touched the lives of many in a very positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your newest Robson is lovely, and the one stitch a day embroidery idea is brilliant! Several years ago I started an autumn embroidery project. It is still in a hoop and is currently unfinished but is no doubt succeeding in collecting dust on a shelf!

    ReplyDelete