Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Not As Good As It Looks

I finished the first Spruce Tree Norwegian Mitten and it looks pretty darn good.
However, it doesn't feel good. EZ's pattern tells the knitter to decide where to start the thumb. As a result I have a mitten that would fit someone with very, very short fingers. In short, I waited too long! So, I have started the second mitten and I'll see if I can get it right. Then I'll have to frog the entire hand of mitten #1 and do it over. Sigh. Because it's made with worsted-weight yarn, it won't take forever.
Which is good because time is in short supply. My students start school tomorrow and it looks like a rambunctious bunch. We are seeing a lot of families moving to Madison from Milwaukee and Chicago. Today's New York Times reports that murder rates are up sharply in both cities, so I have to wonder if there is a connection.

As for reading, I'm finishing up 1913 by Florian Illies. It's a very odd little social/cultural history of Europe on the brink of World War I. It's told in short vignettes that follow the lives of such figures as Freud, Rilke, Picasso, and others I'm less familiar with. I am liking it, but I think it's a book for history buffs. I'm looking forward to reading Shocking Paris, another cultural history, only this one focuses on artists in Paris between the wars.
Just in time for school, summer is reminding us that it ain't over yet. Temps are in the high 80's and the 90's this week. Our school isn't air-conditioned, nor is my house. I've become addicted to Starbuck's Instant Via Very Berry Hibiscus. It's kind of like a Kool-Aid for adults. I highly recommend it!

I'll be joining Nicole at Keep Calm Craft On.

12 comments:

  1. The pattern on the mittens is beautiful. I'm glad you'll be able to make the first one right without ruining the yarn.

    Have a good year at school. Hopefully your kids will settle in quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad they won't take long to reknit because they are looking really fabulous and very warm and snuggly for winter 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first mitt is beautiful! I hope you nail it with the second mitt and have time to rework the first! And, as to frogging, I think we've all been there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. DO share your techniques for rambunctiousness with students for my son!
    Keep your cool lady! you rock

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mittens are beautiful! Sorry you'll have some re-knitting to do. It will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you've had some struggles with the mitten, but they do look awfully good. I admit I really enjoy reading about the period of history between the two World Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such pretty colorwork! I am sure you will get the sizing issue figured out. It's been hot here, too. But we have the comforts of air-conditioning everywhere here in Maryland, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mitten! Can't you just rip back to where you should have started the thumb? At least then it wouldn't be the whole hand. Good luck with your students! Scary what happened in Fox Lake, IL. Our GK's school was locked down as was the church where their mom was at a meeting. Way too close...sure hope they catch those guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so sad about your mitten needing to be frogged. It looks so good too. I always say it would be great if one could knit a project three times: once to try the pattern, two to make mods, and three to make the mods of the mods getting perfection. Stay cool. This week is a scorcher here in MN too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mitten looks wonderful! What a shame that the sizing didn't work out.
    Best wishes for the start back at school - hopefully it won't be too hot.
    I am a definite history buff so have put 1913 on my list - sounds like something I would love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the second mitt goes well, then when redone you will have a beautiful pair. Hope school is going well and the students settle quickly. I went back yesterday but students don't start until Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course it is always hot when school starts. I wish you are wonderful year.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete