Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Meanderings of a Peripatetic Knitter

It's a glorious September day, cool and breezy. The leaves have just begun to change against a deep blue sky. I should be out walking or biking but I'm recovering from a cold, so when I got home from work, I decided I needed some more rest.

Perhaps the demands at work have prompted me to do a few small (read "instant gratification") projects: bracelets with beads. I haven't made these for a while. I was so pleased with the way they came out that I decided to attach some tags and see if I could sell them.
I headed to the new Knitcircus store here in Madison and left a box of them for owner Jaala and her staff to consider. I have my fingers crossed!
These are fun to wear and pretty dramatic, as well. I like making things like this where each item is one-of-a-kind. So much of our world is mass-produced that it feels good to make and wear unique items.

While I was at Knitcircus, I couldn't resist a couple skins of Green Bay Packers-colored sock yarn. I don't do spectator sports, but I know a number of Packers fans who would appreciate these -- though I haven't yet decided who to gift them to.
It doesn't count as stash if you cast it on right away, right?

These days I qualify as a peripatetic reader, too. I keep starting novels and putting them down after 20 or 30 pages. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the books; I'm just having trouble settling in. I couldn't even get into the groove with Whistling Past the Graveyard, which so many bloggers have loved. The next two on top of the stack next to my bed are:
I'll Give You the Sun comes highly recommended by one of the 8th-graders at my school, while my friend Marsha recommends Cover of Snow. I hope one of them takes! I hate being bookless.

I'm joining up with Nicole to Keep Calm Craft On and Ginny at Yarn Along.

20 comments:

  1. Did you just finish a book you loved? It happens to me sooooo often, that I just simply can't settle in to another if it doesn't immediately come up to 'standard'! Good luck. Hope you find something soon! (I can't be bookless, either!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely bracelets! I had the beading bug a few years ago and have quite a stash of them. From time to time I get them out for a small thing or two and they are instant gratification, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that color blue in the bracelet and I fully endorse socks, especially sports themed socks. I've opted for listening to Whistling Past a Graveyard. I could see reading it would make me a bit ... impatient, but I think I have some appreciation of it in this format.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your bracelets, I'm sure someone would love to buy them, fingers crossed for the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bracelets are lovely and would be fun to wear. I'm having trouble with my reading choices too. Lots of books sound interesting but nothing seems to grab my attention fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading the spirit catches you and you fall down. Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bracelets! I hate it when I can't find a great book but often it's just timing, and with the beginning of school, it makes it even more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know you made bracelets, if I did, I forgot. Lovely!! Nothing like football themed yarn :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, those bracelets are amazing - who wouldn't want one!?

    I just started another one of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache novels, and as usual, I got sucked right into it ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous bracelets! I hope they're a smash success!

    I'm bookless too! I've read the first chapter of half a dozen books but I just feel restless. Maybe I have too many other things on the go? I'll try again after Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with you about the making and wearing of unique or one-of-a-kind items. It's what I aim for too, and am always thrilled when someone tells me at a show "your work is so different from what I've seen". My children are the same. They flat out refuse to shop in the super popular chain stores because "everybody wears that".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh what lovely bracelets, I'd love to learn jewellery making :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best luck with the bracelets and Knit Circus - how could they not love them though?!

    Hope you find the right book soon too. I've been a bit the same lately, but have finally settled on Life after Life by Kate Atkinson...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best luck with the bracelets and Knit Circus - how could they not love them though?!

    Hope you find the right book soon too. I've been a bit the same lately, but have finally settled on Life after Life by Kate Atkinson...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your bracelets are beautiful...you sure are a creative engine that never stops!!! I hate being bookless...that is usually when I resort to rereading old favourites. Have a grand day!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Instant gratification bracelets are beautiful - and very satisfying to make. I love the colour of the sock yarn, it's going to look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice bracelets! Have you seen the Scoreboard scarf? Kind of a fun way to knit in team colors. (And your Packers did beat the Seahawks, didn't they?) Have you read The Aviator's Wife? It's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whistling Past the Graveyard takes a few chapters to get into, try it again after your cold goes away. When my head is stuffed up I can't read. Love the bracelets, I bet they were a big hit. Since we are big Packer fans here, that yarn is perfect.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  19. Small world. My husband Dan was friend with Jaala during college at Madison. I knew she had an online presence for Knit Circus, but very cool that she now has a store too. I hope they sell your bracelets they look great!

    ReplyDelete