Saturday, September 5, 2015

I Already Need A Break!

After just three days of school, I really need this three-day weekend. Nothing terrible happened, but spending 7 hours a day with middle-schoolers in 90-degree weather and no air conditioning is exhausting! It was an unusually busy first week. I got three new students on the first day alone -- and more will trickle in. We are getting lots of students from Chicago; I suspect that families are fleeing the increasing violence there.

So, I started this morning with a short bike ride to a cafe to have coffee and knitting with my friend Marsha. The rest of the day is devoted to cleaning and making these:
These are the yet-to-be-frosted Cappuccino Chip Cupcakes that I'm making for a wedding picnic tomorrow. Ilana, the bride, loves these cupcakes, so I'm making 80. (The recipe is from the book Cupcakes from the Cake Mix Doctor. It's my favorite cupcake book.) I'm cleaning because at 8 p.m. I will be hosting Selichot, one of the services that precedes the Jewish High Holy Days.

Thank goodness we have a window AC unit in the kitchen as it's another hot day!

I have feet issues so I have to take regular sitting breaks, which almost always involve knitting. At some point today, I'm going to cast on for the cowl on the cover of the latest Knit-Purl magazine. I'm using Rios, but in a different colorway. It looks like a pretty fast knit.

I hope that no one else is suffering in this heat.

19 comments:

  1. Oh that cowl looks like a great fast knit - enjoy your sitting down breaks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your weekend and extra day, too! Incidentally, our GK's school was under lock down as a result of the Fox Lake shooting. Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 80 cup cakes? Yikes!!! Just the other day I was thinking there would be a market for a cookie recipes rewritten for just one sheet! I can't be the only one who's fed up with baking after the first dozen, can I????

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cowl is my favorite project in the magazine! Hope your second week of school is cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Florida was only 88 today, it is cooler here! I love that cowl, I don't have that issue yet so I had better go out and find it. Have a wonderful celebration tonight and a lovely wedding tomorrow.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. The heat has been brutal here. Actually .....it's been the humidity. It has rained over 15" this month and everything just steams.

    Hopefully, we will get some cooler weather come October.

    Hope things cool off for you. I can't imagine teaching in a classroom without air conditioning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cowls must be in the air! Zach had a challenging week with his 6,7 and 8 th graders. Setting tough limits early on. Happy NEw YEar early if I forget! I love the JEwish traditions that are so obviously reflected in Catholicism.
    THose cupcakes look amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cowl. It looks like it would be fun to knit. Enjoy your extended weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cowl is wonderful. I love the fringe. Is the latest KnitPurl Magazine a good issue?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope things cool off soon! And school will settle in...time will fly and it will be Thanksgiving before you know it :) I love the cowl! I may need to cast one on...especially with the approach of autumn and the need to cast on all the things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hope the heat disappears!! lovely cowl, and it will be a fun knit, I did see that mag but didn't buy it, I'm still thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum - the cupackes look delicious! I love that cowl too. Hope it cools down soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum - the cupackes look delicious! I love that cowl too. Hope it cools down soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My very first year of teaching I was on the third floor of a school with no ac here in the DC area. They used to bring us bags of ice to pour in the sink. The kids used to take turns laying on the cool(er) tile floor with ice wrapped in paper towels. It was miserable. Needless to say very little teaching got done in those conditions. I hope you have better weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. we're still suffering with 90+ degree days, but at least there is a/c to escape to. (Of course, thanks to a poor decision made years ago by the power company, we pay the highest rates in the whole state; i cringe every time i hear the blower kick on!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. We had a full week with the kids last week...it was brutal....my classroom faces full west and no a/c. A parent compained and we had a board member visit on Friday...we now have half days tomorrow and Wednesday.....this parent is well connected...other districts have also called half days.....can't wait for the fall weather to arrive....I will have to look at that issue, I have the last issue and bought the specific yarn for the project, but I've been too exhausted and hot to knit...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those cupcakes look gorgeous, I can see why she likes them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you had a good weekend and that the weather has cooled down a bit for you. Those cupcakes looked yummy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cappuccino Chip cupcakes? Get in my belly!

    ReplyDelete