Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Yes, It's Possible To Mess Up Garter Stitch

How, you may ask, is it possible to mess up garter stitch? Well, when you have a LOT of stitches on a circular needle and you are knitting back and forth, it's is quite easy to miss the fact that you are at the end of a row. Without realizing it, you (or should I say "I"?) are suddenly knitting in the round.

I realized the mistake fairly soon, but I thought I could just cut apart that row and keep going. I am knitting with unspun Icelandic, so I figured I could spit join the little ends. I had knit quite a few more rows -- I'd even begun the next color, a dark blue -- before I realized that the row where I knit in the round disrupted the garter pattern. I had an awkward wedge of stockinette stitch!

I guess the good news is that it is possible to frog Icelandic wool and get it back on the needles with no problem. These rows are incredibly long, though, so it's kind of a bummer to have reknit them. But there was no way I could live with a mistake that big!

As for reading, I haven't quite finished Keep the Aspidistra Flying by Orwell. That man was an amazing writer. This novel, which looks at the role of money on personal relationships, is both engrossing and thought-provoking. I isn't a beach-type read, however.
 It usually doesn't take me this long to finish a short novel, but work has been exhausting! I fall asleep after reading just a few pages. When I do finish, I'm going to try this book, which has been recommended by a number of bloggers:
I'm joining up with Nicole at Keep Calm and  Ginny for Yarn Along.

14 comments:

  1. GROAN! Frogging that many stitches is painful. Worthwhile though! Hope you get back on track without too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to get back on track without too much struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours, it looks very soft and snuggly too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garter stitch can be a mind bender!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by my blog :) I really like your banner at the top, very nice colors and details. Did you draw it yourself? The books you're reading look interesting, especially the first about the role of money in relationships. I'm adding it to my lists. Knitting mistakes are troublesome to take back but I'm finding it helps me be more patient!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your banner is beautiful. I'm glad I'm not the only one who flubs up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never done that before....but then there is always a first time right? lovely knitting and glad you righted your wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mess up in garter stitch all the time, you are going to love Whistling Past the Graveyard, it is my favorite book of the year so far.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally aware of the pitfalls of garter stitch. I mess everything up at least once though. Just how it's gonna be for me in general in the world of knit and snit. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never made that mistake, but I've made plenty of others!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! That's no good! Sounds like something I'd do - I've gotten so good at knitting I'd probably keep going without realizing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, it always hurts to have to unknit :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you frogged; that would have been a miserable mistake to try and ignore!
    the shawl looks to be a lovely one! Books......ahhh; what great friends!
    (thanks for the blog comment! Always nice when someone takes the time to do that!)

    ReplyDelete