Wednesday, September 16, 2015

When A Pair of Mittens Is More Than Two

No, I don't have three hands -- although I frequently wish I did.

I've finally finished the second Spruce Tree Mitten and have begun frogging the first one. I need to pull out more because the problem is that the thumb needs to be lower. Knitting a pair of mittens in worsted weight should not takes months and months -- but I have made SO many mistakes. I hope that I'll be able to move ahead more smoothly
I do want to knit more stranded mittens, but I definitely need a change so I won't make a second pair of these -- at least not for a while.  Also, I'm won't know how I'll like the flared cuff until I have a chance to wear these in the cold.

I decided not be so dogged with the book I was reading, the popular Dietland by Sarai Walker. I know a number of people who liked it, but the premise of a group of weight-loss guerillas just didn't work for me.  Instead, I found myself drawn to a little-know George Orwell novel, Keep the Aspidistra Flying, which is about the lure of money to a failed poet who has renounced the material world.

It's rather slow in the Victorian vein, which is fitting as the Aspidistra is a plant that was popular among the Victorian middle class. I am liking it. Orwell choses words with care and crafts charming sentences, but I am hoping the pace picks up!

Don't forget to check in with Yarn Along.



 

10 comments:

  1. Good for you for having the nerve to redo mitt one ... that's always a tough decision. I like flared cuffs because I can tuck my sleeve ends into them. And stranded mitts are always twice as warm, so I bet you'll love them in the depths of winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always read YARN ALONGS because of you and I get great book and knit ideas. Thanks! I drop any book that im not thrilled with...too many books, too little time

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your third mitten fix. I like the break you are giving yourself from this pattern. I think you'll find the next attempt much more liberating. I've never done stranded work. I'm awed and continue to put it off. Always enjoy to see what you're reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They aren't mistakes......they are opportunities for LEARNING! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stranded mittens are my Waterloo. One of the only projects I have ever cried uncle on and frogged was a pair of impossible Vinterblomster mittens. Stranded hats, sweaters and even socks aren't a problem but mittens and I have a serious issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your determination to get these right. They are beautiful and I hope you enjoy wearing them when you are done. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frogging all that colorwork is sad, but having a working pair of mittens is better. A flared cuff could be nice for fitting over a coat sleeve I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to see all that frogging, but the finished mittens will be worth it, nice and warm for the cold WI winters. I recently finished Little Bee, very disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite the woes, they sure are pretty. Stranded knitting can be such a pain sometimes :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done for battling on, and they are going to be so gorgeous when you're done.

    ReplyDelete