Sunday, September 13, 2015

Sheep & Wool: What Could Be Better?

I escaped the crazy traffic of Big Ten football yesterday and headed to the rural town of Jefferson for the annual Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival. In tow were Suzy and Debbie, two friends I met at the Greater Madison Writing Project Workshop in 2014. It was a beautiful day, perfect for a drive in the country and hours of browsing sheep (and alpaca) stuff.

This year, I went with a list of projects I wanted to make and their yarn requirements. I'm not sure this saved me any money, but it did keep me from making too many impulse purchases. Before I left Keith suggested that I go look at my stash to discourage myself from buying anything, but I assure him that wouldn't have make any difference, not once I walked into the marketplace!

The pink skein above is for one of Wendy Johnson's Lace Stripe Scarf, while the white and purple will make two sets of mittens. I've promised my friend Marsha that I'm going to teach her how to read a color chart and make mittens, so I picked out yarn and a pattern from the nearby Blackberry Ridge Woolen Mill. The pattern is Bosnian Patterned Mittens.

I didn't totally avoid impulse purchases. Isn't this yarn fun?
 It is destined to be an Octoberfest Shawl.

The company was great.  I spent a month in an intensive writing program with them, and feel so lucky to call them my friends! But we all live in different areas so we don't get together often enough. Suzy has long been interested in wool rug hooking, and she got a chance to try it out:
 Debbie gave it a whirl, too. I resisted in an effort to stick with my mantra: No new crafts!

I can hardly wait for next year!

12 comments:

  1. If I was to learn a new craft it would be the traditional rug hooking but like you I don't even want to try it in case I like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Fair on Friday too!> Maybe next year we can meet ? I love your yarn choices for the shawl!! I came home with one skein of alpaca and great memories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your purchases and congrats on being so organized. I can't wait to see the Octoberfest Shawl in that fun yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You found some great yarn! Can't wait to see them all knit up, especially the shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you might not save money but you are keeping small business in business and probably buying local! What fun!!! I usually go and impulse buy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, an amazing festival and I think you did great with your yarn purchases, some out of necessity and some for fun. That shawl is going to be spectacular.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like lots of fun and you came back with lovely yarn. I too have looked at rug hooking but I definitely don't need another project!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooooooooooooo....I love that mixed up color shawl yarn. So pretty.

    Looks like several of the bloggers went to festivals this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you were very restrained! I'm impressed. I am going to Rhinebeck with friends instead of my daughter this year and staying for the weekend and I'm booked for a knitting retreat in March. Love knitting and the friendships that go with it, including you of course!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, my....I'm in love with your new yarn. Fiber Fest's are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a great event wasn't it? I had such fun. I almost bought that same Crazy yarn by Stonehedge Fiber Mill, but another customer was dominating the booth and I couldn't get in close enough so I left meaning to go back, but then didn't. The rug hooking booth was gorgeous, but I too do not need another hobby although I was sorely tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, what fun! I would so love to go to something like that!

    ReplyDelete