Saturday, August 8, 2015

Fiber on Washington Island

On our last full day in Door County, Keith and I took the ferry to Washington Island, where we had a delightful day biking and exploring the island. I did not expect a fibery day, but I got one!

We stopped at the Washington Island Farm Museum, where I found this beautiful Scandinavian spinning wheel:
I almost missed this, but Keith pointed out there was swifter right next to it:
We also biked to the Sievers School of Fiber Arts, which turns out to be a beautiful setting with a great store. I couldn't resist picking up this book by designer Jane Richmond:
I didn't really know much about the school, but I checked out their schedule, and they offer amazing classes in knitting, weaving, book-making, jewelry-making and more. I'm going to have to take a serious look at their 2016 class schedule, when  it comes on February 1, 2016.

There is an adorable coffee shop on the island, The Red Cup, which also sells local art and hand-dyed yarn. Can you blame me for picking up this? The label doesn't say very much, other than that it is dyed right there. I think it will make a great hat.
As we drove back home Friday morning, we stopped at our favorite art gallery, Edgewood Orchard Galleries, and I found a few sheep there. A small flock inhabits this painting:
And a handful of ceramic sheep graced the gardens outside the gallery
All in all, it was good trip!

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will check out the RED cup and the Door CO Pies at Julies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there still a yarn shop? I'm glad you got out to WA Island as we missed that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh ......what could be better than coffee and yarn all in the same shop!!!! The yarn you chose is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those ceramic sheep are a adorable! What a fun trip you had. And I agree with the above commenter - coffee and yarn in the same shop how lovely is that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to that gallery when I was visiting Door Co, it is so amazing. We bought one of those steel/stone Blue Heron's for my SIL"s as a wedding present.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you send me an email, I'l tell you about the car.... My email is jatshawataol.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. fun fun fun!! Love that it was not too far away and that there was yarn involved :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love love love that flock inhabited painting !!! What a wonderful day trip you had....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the ceramic sheep and I agree, that yarn will make a gorgeous hat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That school sounds amazing! Looks like you had a lovely trip and those ceramic sheep are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those ceramic sheep. I feel like I have to put Door county on my Quest list now. sheesh!

    ReplyDelete