Sunday, August 16, 2015

Knitting Something Other Than Socks

My brother and his family left to return to Virginia today, and my daughter goes back to Florida Tuesday morning. All this wonderful family time has interfered with my blog reading and commenting, but I promise to catch up this week!

There has been a long run of sock knitting, but now that I am home and family activity is slowing down, I've added a few rows to my Pelerine shawl. I can't have the the shawl laying across my lap because it has been HOT here. I'm talking heat indexes between 95 and 100 degrees F. The unspun Icelandic is light, but, boy, is it ever warm!
Saying good-bye to my brother, his fiance, and their two sons this morning was hard. As some of you know, both my brothers live on the East Coast, and I miss them so much! We had a great week with hiking, swimming, games, art gallerying, and lots of food and laughter.

I'm cushioning the blow by having my parents and children over for Pastrami on Rye and a Jewish movie this evening. The movie is "Hava Nagila: The Movie." It streams on Netflix. It's a short funny but also informative film. Kitchy, I think, best describes it. It is actually part of American culture so I think it would appeal to people who don't identify as Jewish.

Years ago, I was a scrapbooker and one advantage to that is that I documented every family gathering. Without the goal of filling scrapbooks, I've become a lazy photographer. We were so busy this week that I only have one photo, which I snapped at the Madison Children's Museum:
It's a good photo of my daughter, but I have to share that my nephew is on the spectrum and sometimes we get unnatural smiles. Still, I'm happy to see his face in any form!

Tomorrow, I have a full day of crisis training for work. Summer is just about over for this teacher!

8 comments:

  1. It's only socks for me - it's too hot to think about anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, I finally got around to doing some of Rhombing around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photo of the family! Thanks for sharing!

    I love the colors you've chosen for the shawl. I'm impressed with your progress despite all the fun family activity and the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful color combo for your shawl.
    Love the picture of your daughter and nephew. His smile looks real to me .....he looks like a boy enjoying himself very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. school is already in session here...too hot, too humid, but I think the kids were ready to go back. Love the shawl!! And aren't family gatherings the BEST...we've got one coming up in October and I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. school is already in session here...too hot, too humid, but I think the kids were ready to go back. Love the shawl!! And aren't family gatherings the BEST...we've got one coming up in October and I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you were with your family and not reading blogs. That is how it should be. We will be pod loading for my daughter and son in law.bittersweet for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy, summer sure went by quickly, didn't it? When did the Midwest schools start going back way before Labor Day? Love that shawl; the colors are awesome!

    ReplyDelete