Wednesday, August 19, 2015

EZ Doesn't Necessarily Mean Easy

I realize that I have not blogged yet about this project: Elizabeth Zimmerman's Spruce Tree Norwegian Mittens. Campers at Meg Swansen's Knitting Camp this summer received this pattern as part of our handouts.  There was also a sample, knit by EZ herself (!), and that's what hooked me.
I'm using the yarn that Meg recommends, Briggs and Little Regal, which I picked up at Knitting Camp in July. She used green and white; I opted for blue and white to give it my own spin. The cuff was easy, but the decreases and increases for the wrist and thumb, respectively, require great concentration. I have to admit that I am loving knitting something that links back to Camp.

I knew I had to get these started before school started and my brain was taxed by 5 to 6 hours a day of 8th-graders! Even though there are two weeks before the students showed up, I have meetings and/or trainings every day. I have an amazing team of teachers this year, so I'm looking forward to getting rolling.

Loved Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. If you have any beach time left, I think this would be a great choice. Tried to start this last night, but I nodded off. I haven't read Mary Gordon for a long time, and something about a book of novellas appeals to me at the beginning of the school year.
My daughter flew back to Miami yesterday. Warning: She was in line for security at O'Hare for 50 minutes! The house is too quiet and feels empty. She is in the second year of her graduate program in sociology at the University of Miami. I'm not sure how I raised such an amazing woman!

I am joining with Keep Calm Craft On and Yarn Along.

23 comments:

  1. The mittens look wonderful, love the colour choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your daughter sounds amazing! My son went through security and was pulled out of line for a hand swab test. He thought he was lucky because he passed 100 people in line :)

    Love your mitt and I hope you finish before the eighth graders take all of your intelligence when school starts (ha ha).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful mitten! I like the blue and white it reminds me of delft ware. A knitting camp with Meg Swansen sounds amazing. Like most knitters I find EZ simply fascinating and to be taught by her amazinly talented daughter - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blue and white, it works so well with the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing women tend to clone themselve!!! Your mitts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those mittens. And I agree - EZ is not always easy. Her patterns did help make me a better, more intuitive knitter because they made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those mittens are so pretty! You'll have nice warm hands that look good too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm I love those mitts, the blue and white are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true about EZ; I've tried the Baby Surprise Jacket twice and still haven't succeeded. Love the blue and white!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your mitts and your recommended reading. So glad you had time with your daughter. To see your children thriving is the ultimate gift and it is rather amazing and lovely. Good luck with the school year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mitts look great! Knitting camp must have been amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your mitts, your colourwork is great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your mitts, your colourwork is great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in awe of anyone who can knit like this. I love the colors, the white really pops and it looks very much like snow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice mittens! They should be perfect for WI winters. You are so lucky to have gone to the Knitting Camp; that sounded like such a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful colors and I love the pattern. I agree with Donna above: the little I've knit of EZ makes me think and involves me much more in the creative process than anything else I've ever knit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So fun to see Briggs & Little knit all over the world. The mill is just up the way from my brother's place in New Brunswick. Last time I went I was given a tour by John Little himself. And did you know that he also knit some of the samples in the mill store? Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pretty looking colourwork there, looking forward to seeing more :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great mittens. Knitting camp sounds like fun. I hope you have a great school year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. grown kids....totally blows my mind every time I look at mine! (and watch them being successful contributors to the world!!!)

    nice mitts....I couldn't have resisted an EZ link either!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the blue and white color combination that you've decided on. I understand wanting to get into them before your schedule heats up and your brain is already being challenged enough as is. It wouldn't be as fun or relaxing. Timing is everything. I have WTF queuing but I'm still trying to read Hotel du Lac!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those mittens are going to be gorgeous when you are done! Your color combo is perfect! This reminds me I have a pair of colorwork fingerless mitts in my UFO pile that needs my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those mittens are Amazing already!!! the right yarn is key with fair isle. GOOD FOR YOU.
    My darling daughter flew back to Virginia yesterday and IM sad. She is so fun now and I hate the goodbyes. Ugh. Im staying busy.
    My son just got his teaching schedule and he's unhappy! He teaches 300 6,7 and 8 graders Spanish. IN years past he did not have this Many CLASSES to teach. I feel bad for him. I would speak up. Time for a raise or something!

    ReplyDelete