Tuesday, August 25, 2015

BONK!

BONK!

That's the sound of my head hitting the wall of reality. I've been back to work for two full days of trainings and meetings, and I'm so missing the pace of summer -- and the time for knitting and other crafts, family, and friends. I am excited about the 8th-grade team this year. As a special ed teacher, my work life depends a lot on the teachers I'm teamed with.

I've been nibbling away at my Elizabeth Zimmerman shawl and mitten. Since I showed the mitten last post, I thought I'd mix it up and show the shawl. I love the unspun Islandic yarn, partly because it is simply different.

I finished All the Light We Cannot See, and I didn't love it. I'm not even sure I liked it. I realize this puts me in a tiny minority. The writing is breath-taking, but the characters didn't feel real to me and the plot held few surprises.
The Liar's Wife also is beautifully written. I enjoyed the first novella, which shares a name with the title. Gordon writes with such simplicity and authority. Her characters feel very real. 

I'm not sure how far I'll go with On the Run, which is written by a UW-Madison professor who recounts her experiences living in a crime-ridden area in Philidelphia. As a teacher of inner-city children, I am always interested in learning more about the various communities they come from. However, serious questions about the veracity of this book have been raised. I haven't decided yet if I want to read a book that might not be as true as it claims to be.

I'm joining up with Nicole for Keep Calm Craft On and Ginny for Knit Along.

13 comments:

  1. I will tell you from experience that SOME of the Philadelphia schools are pretty rough. Strawberry Mansion High School was deemed the most dangerous in America last year. Simon Gratz and Northeast are both fairly dangerous too. I'm sure there are others.

    Not sure if Goffman's book is all true, but it surely "could" be, I'm guessing. I've put it on my TBR list at Goodreads. Philadelphia is my hometown. Love reading books written with Philly as the setting.

    Your shawl colors are gorgeous. I love the rustic quality of that yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm, I want to read the book you didn't care for....What you need is a good plague book, I recommend "a year of wonders". Good luck with getting into the groove of teaching once more and I hope you get more knitting time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the Light...was not my favorite. I was a bit sad at the end and the book moved at such a slow pace. I am all for a slow pace when it means something in the end, but this one not so much. I was in car drop off this morning with Little B and was cursing that summer is over.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your shawl - the colors are beautiful. I'm reading "All the Light" and, so far, am not thrilled. The writing is gorgeous, but the story not so much. It's really moving slowly for me...glad I got it from the library on my Kindle rather than buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your islandic yarn is so so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colour combination you're using :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, summer went by at warp speed! Love your shawl; the colors are great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shawl looks lovely! I just got "All the Light We Cannot See" from the library ... I guess I'll just have to wade in to see what I think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the beautiful colors in your shawl. Good luck for the new school year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. shawl is looking so pretty!!!
    I've had All the Light...downloaded as an audible book, started it about 4 times...get distracted and don't feel the urge to continue. I will finish it someday, but I'm not finding it quite as compelling as everyone has reported. I might change my mind once I finally get in to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really enjoying watching this shawl knit up in those lovely colors. I love your comment about enjoying the writing but not feeling connected to the characters. I find it so interesting what gives a book it's strength of appeal. It varies so much from book to book, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your color combo reminds me of my mother's favorite tweed jacket that she wore so often. They are soft and lovely colors to be sure. How is the feel of the unspun Icelandic? It looks soft and fuzzy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At last, All the Light We Cannot See Audio Book is now available on AudioBooksNow.

    ReplyDelete