Sunday, August 23, 2015

Here's Where It Gets Hard

I have made enough progress on my Spruce Tree Norwegian Mittens that it's time to employ EZ's "mitten trick." I am nervous about this. I thought about using the thumb gusset method that I'm comfortable with, but I couldn't figure out how to mesh that with the pattern. So here I am:

I'm determined to do it today, before my first full week of work.

Am I the only one who finds thumbs challenging? The hardest part for me is the very last piece, where you pick up stitches in one form or another to knit the thumb. I am especially nervous about doing it on this new type (to me) of thumb.

Speaking of the end of summer vacation, The New York Times had an interesting column about vacations last week. Studies find that people get the most pleasure out of planning a trip, but that trips that have jam-packed itineraries do not give people happiness.
The shoreline at Ephraim, Wis., in Door County.
However, people do feel happy after slow-paced, relaxing trips. I have to say that I do not like feeling rushed ever, especially on vacation! No wonder Keith and I love our trips to Door County, where we just do what we feel like doing.

You can read the whole column here.

I hope you have have whatever kind of weekend you like best!

14 comments:

  1. Your mitt is looking beautiful.
    I'm with you, I don't like to feel rushed in general and especially not on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the thumb, you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the thumb, you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mitten is looking good. Good luck with the thumb. You might want to search on YouTube to see if there are any videos on that technique. I found a great video series for EZ's Baby Surprise Jacket and it was so helpful to "see" how it was done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've given up on mittens and gloves altogether. I ALWAYS get a hole at the base of each. Maybe EZ has a trick that'll fix that?

    I like my vacations both ways. If I'm somewhere with lots of galleries, museums and historical sites, then I like a jam-packed itinerary... don't want to miss a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that glove is gorgeous - good luck with the thumb, I'm sure it will come together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you will master that thumb! Pick up more stitches than they say and then get rid of them on the next row (that's what I do, I find the number they want to pick up lacking...) I love your colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i totally agree with that column about slow-pacing holidays....We met people while in Paris who were covering in under a week what we planned to do in a month. They looked so anxious and stressed out!!! Your mitts are gorgeous...good luck with the thumbs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those mittens. I have a tough time with colors and tend to get them too tight. Did camp give you any good tips on that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the thumb! Beautiful colourwork

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mittens look great, and I think that's very true. A few summers ago we had one of those holidays where we saw family and everyone wanted a piece of us. While each individual occasion was lovely and while it was nice to see everyone, the overall impression left after the holiday was one of stress and unrest. It's so important to leave youself space and time to just be or you just replace the work itinerary with a holiday one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are not alone! I have a gorgeous colorwork fingerless mitt completed that will most likely be in a long term UFO status until I get the courage to pick up the thumb stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My issue with thumbs is that I always get holes at the seam area. Maybe that's why I usually only do mittens and not gloves - too many holes - but I think when the time comes you will figure it out. Just take your time, and breath.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheering your thumb gusset and mitten on! I have only ever done fingerless mitttens so even the thumb is "incomplete", I'm a useless resource!

    I loved the article and sent to some friends. Thanks for the link! I could do a lot of nothing right now on a beach or in the mountains :)

    ReplyDelete