Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Peace: It Can Be Hard to Find

One of the odd things about blogging is that you share a lot of your life, but sometimes you can't share everything. Like now. A member of my family is ill, but doesn't want to share their problems on the Internet -- and who can blame them. So, just know that I am stressed and worried and struggling with deadlines at work. Not a great time for me.
However, I did find a few hours of peace this past weekend at a workshop at Bare Knuckle Arts, run by former art teacher Amy Mietzel. (If you leave in the area, do check out the classes and workshops; they rock!) We painted Peace Poles, which are poles that say "May Peace Prevail on Earth" on four sides, usually in four different languages.

I can't find a lot about the history of Peace Poles, but the first one went up in Japan 1955. Since then, more than 100,000 poles have gone up in more than 180 countries. It turns out that the largest Peace Pole is located in Janesville, Wisconsin, just 40 miles from me. It was put up at the site of a Ku Klux Klan rally.

Anyway, the workshop was friendly and peaceful. For a few hours I just enjoyed the painting and the company and the music. Thanks, Amy!

I'm joining with Nicole to Keep Calm and Craft On. I could use some calm!

13 comments:

  1. I am sorry you have a lot on your plate right now. Just remember to take time for yourself. I hope you family member gets well fast.
    I love the idea of a peace pole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, I hope all works out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found some peace and calm during all the stress. I am sending you best wishes for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending lots of hugs your way. Hope things settle down soon. This is a busy time of year without added stress. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending healing vibes to your family member and tranquility to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that...I hope things turn out alright......and a few hours of peace can be so badly needed at times...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful way to channel your stress. I hope all is well, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. praying that you get the calmness that you seek. I hope your family member gets better soon so you can feel less stressed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you found some peace while painting poles !!! I hope your relative gets well soon... take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww Bless you . Love the calm. Will pray for you loved one no matter the details!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw a PEACE post cluster at my garden shop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My MIL had a beautiful peace poll on the corner of her front yard in Wauwatosa. After she moved the peace poll now resides up in Door Co at the home of my SIL. Love yours and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought of you and posted some PEACE posts today

    ReplyDelete