Sunday, April 12, 2015

Nicole at Frontier Dreams recommended this book:
I'm not vegan -- or even vegetarian -- but I do think there are lots of good reasons to eat less meat, both for the environment and for one's health, so I requested this from my local library. And I have to say that so far, it hasn't disappointed!

My very favorite recipe is the Classic Glo Bar. It's a granola bar that you make from scratch with ingredients I had not used before, such as chia seeds, hemp seeds, and brown rice syrup. The seeds come in large and somewhat expensive bags so I felt like buying them was a gamble. What was I going to do with all those chia seeds if I didn't like the bars?

Not to worry. The Glo Bars are delicious! And much more healthy that anything you can buy. So today I'm planning to make Present Glo Bars, a similar recipe but featuring some different items.

I'm also planning to try one of her green smoothies later today. As someone with jaw problems, I can't resist checking out a smoothie that has kale in it!

I hope you're having a great weekend. After a rough week at school, I was more than ready for a few sunny, lazy days. Yesterday I went for a bike ride and today I've got a walk scheduled. I'm hoping two days is long enough to recharge!

6 comments:

  1. Have you read the "Oh She Glows" blog? It's pretty interesting too.

    I do chia up as a drink ---- 3 tsp. chia, a squirt of lemon juice and 12 oz. water in a to-go bottle. Keeps me refreshed while walking in this hot, humid weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! I've picked up and put down the cookbook more times than I care to admit. I even had it on my Christmas list, although I didn't get it. I think I WILL buy it. Maybe I'd better do a Year of Projects on the cookbook - and promise to try all the recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. my daughter loves granola bars...i must try this recipe... thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read that Chia seeds go bad quickly. I agree, they should sell very small amounts of them. I only can find the huge bags

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book looks fantastic. I don't eat red meat or pork and I could easily do without chicken or turkey, but with a family that makes it a bit more difficult.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting post! I can't believe how many of your posts I missed! Can't figure out what happened either.

    ReplyDelete