Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Guest Speaker That Wasn't

Every month I swear I won't buy anything at the monthly Madison Knitting Guild ... some months I do better than others.

But before I get to that, I want to talk about the guest speaker that wasn't. This is how it was explained in our newsletter:

It is with great regret that we were forced to cancel the April visit and Icelandic Knitting classes with Hélène Magnusson. Our request for a visa to bring Hélène to the U.S. and pay her for her services was denied. Although we requested the visa in December, we did not receive a written decision until March 21. Homeland Security did not agree that MKG provides an ongoing program that qualifies as a cultural exchange. We appealed the decision, but there is no guarantee of success and we cannot take that risk. We are gravely disappointed in this outcome as we found Hélène to be an absolutely delightful person who we know would have delivered an extraordinary program. 
 
Is that crazy or what? I think Homeland Security may be worrying about the wrong people here! We had a lovely talk by the curator of a local textiles collection and we are greatful she was willing to pitch-hit -- but it wasn't the same as an expert Icelandic knitter!

I decided I could buy yarn for gifts only, so here is what I purchased from Ogle Design, an indie dyer and designer in suburban Milwaukee. I chose:
On the right are two small skeins of 100% Superwash Merino to make mitts. The larger skein is 100% Merino and will become a hat. Can anyone guess why I grabbed this colorway?

8 comments:

  1. Packers BABY!!!!!

    And, yes ....that is totally CRAZY about Homeland Security rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Packers!!!!!! Great colorway.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course they are PACKER colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. no visa....for a knitter? c'mon, now. That's insane. I'm so sorry....I've heard she does quite the amazing job on her icelandic tours. (bucket list!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really disappointed that the knitter was denied the Visa. I wonder if it was the type of Visa, they should've provided another option. sigh. I'm sorry, but I hope it works out down the line ...

    Packers, shmackers, you're an Oakland A's fan right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very sorry to hear about the denied visa! Hard to believe!!!

    The yarn is truly beautiful though!

    Take care
    Anne
    http://crochetbetweenworlds.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the craziest thing I've heard. Seriously need to look at their priorities!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun yarn! I'll have to check out that dyer as I grew up in the suburbs of Milwaukee. That is so weird about the visa. What a bummer!

    ReplyDelete