Wednesday, February 25, 2015

In Bed By 4 PM

If I am in bed by 4 p.m., it can only mean one thing: I'm sick. I won't bore you with the details, but let's just say that sneezing and Kleenex are involved.

So, I have a cup of hot herbal tea and a few minutes to comment on After I'm Gone by Laura Lippman. Lippman is one of the few suspense writers I can stand to read. She's quite a good writer. And while this isn't her very best, it is quite a good read. The story centers around the women left behind when a husband and father disappears. I have to admit that I'm sucker for stories that involve people disappearing. The story is engrossing and the ending surprised me. I recommend it when you want something gripping but not too heavy.

The book inspired me to try to track down a kid I knew as a teen. Greg Kammer is one of those people who disappeared into nowhere in 1985 and again in 1990. Presumably, he's out there living under a third identity. As far as I could tell, no one knows where he is now. Greg was a quiet guy, kind of a teddy-bear build, sweet. He left behind good jobs, romantic relationships, and huge business debts. I hope that he has found peace wherever he is.

6 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better soon. Seems like a lot of your fellow bloggers are down with something this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you're sick, but to be tucked away in bed reading does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you're sick, but to be tucked away in bed reading does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. feel better!!! I hope while reading the book you recover quickly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh oh. Zach is sick with a cold here too. Conferences with parents just make him get physically sick! Glad they are over. He needs to relax and have fun. Feel better . Chicken soup for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. hope you are feeling better soon......knitting helps, you know.

    ReplyDelete