Tuesday, February 10, 2015

When Knitting and Math Collide

A few days ago I picked up a project (one of many) that had been languishing in its project bag.
It's the Jet Set Cowl, and this photo doesn't do it justice. (I'm blaming that on weak winter light.) It's a simple pattern that makes a lovely textured cowl, which you can see better in this photo:
It turned out to be the perfect project for the Madison Knitting Guild last night. Our presenter was Carolyn Yackel, who is an avid knitter and math professor at Mercer University. She is adorable and very funny, qualities that are very useful when you're trying to engage a group of non-math majors in the intricate relationship between math and knitting.

I'd say I understood about half her talk. Once she got into hyperbolic geometry, I was enjoying her personality enough to carry me through the hard parts. She has co-edited two books about knitting and math, both available on Amazon. If you love math, you have to check out her work.

You might also want to check out Keep Calm and Craft On with Nicole.

11 comments:

  1. That talk sounds really interesting. I love the colour of your cowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. She would have lost me very fast. I give you credit for going at all! Love your pink yarn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me some knitting, but really I can barely monkey in the math that the knitting requires, what's that ... counting? ha! I'm glad she was entertaining and engaging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute cowl! Are you going to the Knit In by the MKG?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pink is my favorite color and your cowl is looking very nice. I like that pattern a lot. Stopping by from Frontier Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any lecture on knitting is so exciting even if it involves math!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I have a friend who loves math AND knitting--though I'm not sure she'd have made it through the geometry part either. I'm off to check out Amazon

    ReplyDelete
  8. love that pattern and that yarn colorway. I love the kind of knitting I can do while talking and or listening. Then I feel like I am at maximum productivity!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I KNOW there is a lot of math with knitting.....guess that's why I don't do the designer thing!!! I'm lucky to figure out gauge!!! :)

    ReplyDelete