Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Brioche Isn't That Hard

At this past weekend's Knit-In, I took a class in Brioche knitting. I have long wanted to learn how to do the Brioche Stitch. When Nancy Marchant came out with her beautiful book, Knitting Brioche, I checked it out of the library and perused it. It is a beautiful book with clear illustrations and directions, but I was still intimidated. So I jumped at the chance to take a half-day class with Elizabeth Prose.
And it was totally worth it. I love YouTube videos as much as anyone, but I still learn best from a teacher who is right there. Elizabeth did a great job, and I was off and running right away. As you can see, we learned to knit in the round, which I love.

She had us start a cowl, and mine was coming along quite well. But then, this morning, I made a mistake and didn't notice for a few rows. It was the kind of mistake that cannot be ignored. Elizabeth had warned us to watch our knitting because it's not easy to fix Brioche mistakes. I decided to frog mine and start again with softer yarn. For practice, I had used Encore, which is a great workhorse yarn. But, I'm very fussy about wool that touches my neck, so I'm going to have to pick up something extra soft. The amazing thing is that I don't have two good contrasting colors in my stash!

I'm linking up with Nicole at Frontier Dreams.

12 comments:

  1. Brioche is one of those things that scares me too. But I bet having a teacher right there really helps !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Brioche knitting before. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PUrple and aqua are a great combination! If you have to really watch the stitches..I bet I'd fail fast! Good luck. It will be brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been intimidated by brioche as well. I think I have tried a swatch in the past, but did not like how loose and open my stitches look. I could benefit from practice, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am unfamiliar with the Brioche. I'm glad you are taking us on the knit trip with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a small bit (well many stitches, but only a few inches) of Brioche recently on a Stephen West shawl, it was a great introduction to the technique. I did mess up though and there was no way I could fix it, so I had to rip back a row or two, then it was smooth sailing. It looks very sloppy at first, but then after several rows it looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the colors you chose. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds fun! I love the colours and can't wait to see how it progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right on! Broiche has been on my list to do for a few months. You have motivated me to get going and just try it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear you'll have to have a stash enhancement trip! ;) brioche is on my to-do list too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brioche will be on my attempt when I have a few more years experience list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brioche is on my wish list too! I am planning on taking a class on it sometime this year, so I'll keep you posted when I do. Good for you for learning a new skill, and I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete