Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Who Is This?

Recognize this lady?
You probably knew before I asked that this is a photo of Elizabeth Zimmerman, the doyen of modern American knitting. She is on my mind because I just found out that I'll be going to Knitting Camp this summer.

Even though the famous knitting camp (now run by Zimmerman's daughter, Meg Swansen) is less than two hours away from Madison, I never considered attending before this year because I'm just not that good of a knitter. It would be embarrassing, I was sure, because everyone else would be a master knitter and I would be revealed as a knitting fraud.

But the new knitting friends I met at last month's Sun Valley retreat talked me into it. They have all attended before and they said that the camp really is for everyone. They talked about how much fun it is, and by the end of that retreat, I was sold.

Here I've grown up in the shadow of EZ and never really thought about how cool that is. Now, though, I'm getting excited. I guess I need to actually read my copy of Knitting Without Tears before camp starts on July 2!

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great time! Yes ......you probably need to read the book and then just relax and enjoy the camp.

    Knitters are about the least judgmental people I've ever met. You will fit in just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting, hope you have a lovely time :)

    Love your colourwork cowl on the previous post

    ReplyDelete
  3. and all her others, too!!!! I'm really jealous!!! I sort of got the impression that the same folks went year after year and it was really almost impossible to get in to. So happy for you....and can't wait for a blow by blow account!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, I can't wait to hear/read all about your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds so perfect. They do one of those around here in Oct and I am definitely going this year. I feel that no matter what skill lever, knitters can all appreciate each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So exciting! I think we are our own worst critics. I am sure you'll have a fabulous time and will come back with lots of wonderful stories to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I have thought about doing that, but just never bit the bullet. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So jealous! Have fun!!! :) I cannot wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all you are an incredible knitter and Elizabeth Zimmerman would be the first one to tell you that. Not everything she makes is complex, actually that is her way to make things easier. I know you are going to have the best time, and meeting Meg Swanson will be a knitting highlight.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete