Wednesday, May 21, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Mukluk

Although this may look like an FO...

... it really is a WIP:
It won't be done until I sew up the seam that runs along bottom!

I am really loving this pattern, but this first slipper took me forever to finish because the yarn is hard on my hands. It is Encore Chunky Tweed: 75% acrylic, 25% wool, and 3% rayon. I don't usually have problems with acrylic-wool blends, so I'm thinking that it's the chunky-ness that is hurting my hands. It is giving me the same kind of pain that I get from Sugar'n Cream cotton yarn.

I looked up the yarn on Ravelry, but couldn't find similar complaints! Knitters gave it 4 out of 5 stars, even. So then I looked up Sugar'n Cream, and it also gets 4 out of 5 stars. Which reminds me of my issue with reader ratings on Amazon. In both cases, these are not statistical surveys. Rather, the respondents are self-selected. I've realized that romance books that I think are terrible get high ratings on Amazon because the people who choose to read them like romance novels.

I would like to point out that Lion Homespun (possibly the most hated yarn out there, though not by me) gets 3 out of 5 stars. And Red Heart Super Saver Solids gets 3 stars, too. Now that is a yarn that I cannot stand the feel of. It's the kind of material that could survive a nuclear holocaust. Still, a lot of knitters like it.

Does anyone know of a yarn that got fewer than 3 stars?

Don't forget to check out other WIPs with Tami Amis.

7 comments:

  1. I would say most people rating the Red Heart high do so because they have never know different. And also for the price. If that's all you can afford you aren't likely to find fault with it. I agree on S&C, cannot work with cotton at all. But had no problem myself with the Chunky. Hope your pain goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can bet that once I bite the bullet and actually buy myself some proper quality yarn and stop using the cheapo stuff I'll end up noticing a difference on my hands too! I've been looking at better quality yarns recently but I'm struggling to commit to buying any without an actual project in mind....how do you know how much to buy if you don't know what to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will NEVER ever used Red Heart again. While I was knitting with it a sliver peeled off and stuck in my finger. I couldn't see it, but I sure could feel it. I finally had to go to the ER to get it out. DAMN --- that was some EXPENSIVE cheap yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh oh I need the pattern name…sorry> I LOVe your Mukluk .
    I don't like red heart yarn one bit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a fan of Red Heart either , there a better quality acrylics that are not that much more expensive . Berroco Comfort is one of my favourites .

    Love your mukluks , I'm sure that pattern is in my queue . Thanks for the reminder ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, sometimes the only people who offer reviews are people who really really like a yarn. This gives products a tilted review, but there's not a whole lot we can really do (in my mind). I too enjoy using Lion Brand Homespun, though I understand people's problems with it.
    Are you using the non-felted slipper pattern? That's one of my favorite knits, and the alterations are endless! I love how yours look-- making me want more wooly slipper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think they look great especially because they have been a bit of a pain to create. I find it interesting that on Good Reads, books I think are horrendous get good marks.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete