Friday, May 2, 2014

Some Weeks Are Longer Than Others

This week was longer than five days. I can't explain how. Maybe there were more than 24 hours in each day this week. I don't know, but by this morning, our 8th-grade team felt the need to jolt ourselves out of the doldrums.

It worked. We got through the day. And now I have a couple hours at home before heading out for gallery night.

I'm going to spend a few of those moments apologizing for neither writing nor reading much in the blogosphere this week. It was a grueling week: long hours, IEP meetings, and challenging students. I spent time with both my parents and Keith's -- something I like's to do more. Doing all those things means less time for blogging.

And I really, really like blogging. The best part is meeting people from all over and forming friendships. The knitters I've met have taught me so much about knitting. They've encouraged me to try new techniques, helped me out of jams, and directed me to amazing patterns and yarns.

Having been a single mom for more than a decade, time management has dogged me for ages. Am I the only one who struggles to find time for other people and myself? I could hole up in my studio for weeks at a time -- but in the long run I'd regret not nourishing relationships. I'm always trying to set boundaries at work. There is so much I could do that teaching could take up every waking moment -- if I let it!

So, where does blogging fit in? Earlier this week, I emailed a former blogger.  She hadn't posted for a long time, but also hadn't said on the blog that she was quitting. I wondered if she was ill or dealing with a major problem. She replied that she stopped blogging because she often felt that she was knitting to "feed" the blog, a feeling I've struggled with, too. My monogamous knitting of the last few weeks has made blogging hard. And this isn't the first time I've felt like the blog was driving my knitting -- which does seem backward.

I really miss this blogger -- she was one of the best -- so we'll try to connect in other ways. Still, it won't be the same. I don't plan to quit blogging any time soon, but I am going to try to not feel pressure in the blogosphere. I know that none of us want that!

4 comments:

  1. We're here whenever you can make it. Blogging should never feel like pressure. It's supposed to be fun.

    Take a break if you need. We'll be here when you get back. :-)

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand where you are coming from, I like to refer to it as Blogger's Guilt. We all suffer from it, life is so busy sometimes and it is hard to catch up with all of your friends in blog land, do what you can when you can. We love you and will be here for you when you can pop in, that is what friends are for.
    Hugs and hope you can catch your breath this weekend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww Im sad when a blogger retires their blog. usually its just for a respite. I am shocked when I look at others blog rolls at how many listed quit posting years ago.

    I think blogging should not be a chore. It should be fun.

    Enjoy! End of the year for teachers is sooooo crazy

    ReplyDelete
  4. If feel like when you end up doing things for the blog rather than doing things that you end up blogging about is the point at which you need to stop and ask yourself why you you blogging in the first place...it's different for each person. I blog just to document life and the different crafts I end up trying to make but every once in a while I catch myself thinking "What should I blog today?" and then stop and remind myself that there is no "should"

    ReplyDelete