Tuesday, January 14, 2014

I'm Captivated by the Brioche Stitch

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know that Madison has (so they say) the largest Knitting Guild in the United States. At the moment, we have 493 members. Even though all the members don't attend every month, we have a hard time finding spaces large enough to accommodate our numbers.

I haven't gone to many meetings this year, largely because I am just too tired after work, but I made sure to go last night, when the guest speaker was the author of this book:

One of the cool things about having an enormous guild is that we can bring in world-class speakers every month. I have been lucky enough to be in an auditorium with Stephanie Pearl-McPhee and Franklin Habit (not at the same time!).

I would put Nancy Marchant, the reigning expert in brioche stitch, in that same category. She is a great speaker, funny and self-deprecating and knowledgeable. Not only has she build a great career on knitting, but she lives in one of my favorite cities, Amsterdam -- a long way from her native Indiana.

Brioche stitch has intrigued me for a long time, but it just seemed so complicated. Marchant is a great speaker and her explanation demystified the stitch. Her slides of the stitches and projects she's developed drew "oohs" and "aahs" from the audience. She spent a lot of time exploring and experimenting with the stitch and has developed beautiful body of work.

But, what really got to me were the samples she brought. Brioche stitch has an incredible amount of richness and depth. I'm hooked. It's only a matter of time before I get my hands on her book and give this a try.

We always have vendors at our meetings -- and they always offer tempting stuff. I am so proud of myself for not succumbing to this beautiful table of yarn and resisting the urge to go home with at least one skein of yarn!

I

2 comments:

  1. Woah, that sounds amazing. I think I need to move to Madison haha! I have never thought about knitters clubs getting guest speakers, but it does make sense. I have looked through that book before, and it was really confusing to me. I am glad you are going to try it soon though, it does look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky having access to such interesting presenters! I have never tried brioche but it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete