Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Joining with UnRaveled Wednesday

I'm very happy to be joining with Kat for Unraveled Wednesday. She has picked up where Ginny left off with a Wednesday link party for those of us who knit and read. Thank you, Kat!

As it happens, I am home today, nursing a sore neck, and will head out later to see my doctor. My neck has been bothering me since I fell at work a couple months ago. I'm pretty stoic about pain, but this just isn't going away! I'm thinking maybe some PT would help.
I'm hoping to finish my Summer Camp shawl. I'm working on those scallops you see along the edge. They'll be a bit of challenge on pain meds.

I'm slowly working my way through Elizabeth Gilbert's mammoth novel The Signature of All Things. I refused to read Eat, Pray, Love because it sounds so self-indulgent, and I had my doubts that the author of that book could write a serious novel. But I have a new embroidery project going that related to botany in the 19th century, which is the setting for this book, so I found a used copy and started reading.

Many readers on Amazon complained that there is no plot, another reason I was reluctant to read this book. But I'm not sure it needs one. The writing is truly gorgeous, and the main character is someone I want to spend time with. We'll have to see if I'm still hooked through all 528 pages.

Can't wait to see you Unraveled!


14 comments:

  1. I chose not to read Eat, Pray, Love for the same reason, and have resisted Signature of All Things after I heard the author speak and wondered if I would enjoy her writing at all. Your description has intrigued me and I will have to look for the book at the library. Hope your neck pain is resolved soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im headed over to read what others are reading! Im so sorry about your neck. PT may help yes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawl looks pretty and the book sounds intriguing, have had to add it to my list of books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed The Signature of All Things. It was a bonus for me that it also involved Philadelphia and its history.

    Your shawl is lovely - I love the multicolored scallops!

    I hope your neck will be OK. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shawl does look pretty, that is another project I have waiting in the wings, a shawl with picot beading. I've watched Eat, Pray, Love with Julia Roberts but never read any of Elizabeth Gilbert's books. I'm reading one for the book club at the moment called Mercy by Jodi Picoult. It seems to have 3 stories going on at once, all related. Must concentrate and get a move on if I'm to get some questions typed up ready. Hope you get sorted with your neck. I'm currently in pain and off work with my foot tendon, limp limp. Take care, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your neck issue is resolved soon. That's no fun (I know). I think I borrowed Eat, Pray, Love but could not possibly get through it (and have not wanted to see the movie). Reviews on signature seem to be mixed, though I see that Bridget liked it and so far you do too. Hmmmm. Your shawl is beautiful - love the edging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The scalloped edge on your shawl is lovely. I hope your doctor prescribes physical therapy for your neck so you can get some relief from the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely shawl! I hope your neck issue heals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a giant pain in the neck today myself and it's been NO fun. Hopefully mine will be gone soon but I feel your pain.
    I did listen to Eat, Love, Pray because my boss heard I was taking a road trip to visit son over spring break years ago and gave me hers for the ride. I had NO interest whatsoever but felt pressured to listen as she might quiz me on it when I got back. She loved the book but she was a shallow, nasty woman so it made sense. It wasn't a terrible listen. I did like the Eat part and the Pray was interesting but it lost me with the Love part. Couldn't relate at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hope you are feeling back to your self real soon....with no blips on the border!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your neck is better sooner than later! And, I can't wait to see your camp shawl finished!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your neck is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you're feeling better. Lovely composition on your photo. Good luck w/that book. I couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope by now your neck pain is gone! I'm reading and enjoying The Midwife of Hope River and just learned it has a sequel.

    ReplyDelete