Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Halfway Through

I'm especially pleased about finishing this sock. I think I started it two years ago! It's just a boring 2x2 rib sock for a man -- the kind of thing I don't love knitting. But it feels good to be halfway through a pair. I'm determined to start the second one right away. (No ball band, but I'm pretty sure it's Opal or Trekking XXL.)
I'm halfway through The Gravity of Birds by Tracy Guzeman. It's OK for popular fiction. The bird theme is woven deftly into the plot, and I appreciate that. If you like popular fiction, you'd probably like this book about two sisters and how their lives are entangled with a famous (fictional) artist.

I finished Spectacle: The Astonishing Life of Ota Benga with mixed feelings. I think it's an important story, but most of his story has been lost with the passage of time. The book is padded with lots of unnecessary detail, and I found myself skimming more and more as I went along.

Joining Ginny for Yarn Along.

12 comments:

  1. That's great you finished one of the socks and onto the second. It looks great. The book The Gravity of Birds sounds interesting, I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halfway is a great place to be! I love that sock and bonus points for knitting man socks! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to finish the sock. Sounds just about the right length of time for a knit that involves ribbing all the way. Here's to the next sock. When I saw your book last week, I did wonder if it would be a tough read. Doesn't sound like you're loving either of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the sock finish. I've wanted to make a pair like that for my husband, but the ribbing all the way keeps putting me off - lol. Sorry the book you just read turned out to be not that great. The new one looks like it could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for finishing old WIPS! Men socks are the worst. I can do a man's sweater faster than I can do socks for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of seemingly endless ribbing. I once helped a friend work on socks for her husband. He wanted 15 inches of ribbing on the leg/cuff. I was never so glad to finish a pair of socks in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes those ribbed socks end up being the workhouse socks that last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to look up that book. The lives of sisters are always so complex.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my sister would really like that book. Your man sock is fabulous and I love both those yarns so it doesn't surprise me the sock has turned out so well. I'm slogging through a David Talbot right now. It's spooky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you read and knit at the same time? I love "boring" knits (like a plain stockinette or ribbed sock) because I can knit them and read at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful sock even though it took a long time, I think it was worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man socks are always large, aren't they? Me, I almost always procrastinate on sock #2. Sigh. I just finished The Civil Wars of Julia Ward Howe and learned a lot about her and that period of history. Her life was an interesting one, especially after her husband died. (He founded the Perkins Institute where Helen Keller was educated.)

    ReplyDelete