Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Trying to be Monogamous

No, I'm not talking about my marriage. Wait -- that doesn't sound right. Of course, my marriage is monogamous! I have an awesome husband who never comments when I buy yarn; although, he does like to tease me about my stash.
Knitting and reading, though, are harder for me to be monogamous with. But in an effort to simplify my life, I'm forcing myself to pick up hibernating projects. This week I pulled out my Reyna.
I love this shawl and the yarn includes my favorite colors. However, I am struggling with the netting section I'm working on. The netting keeps changing direction, so matter how careful I am with following the pattern. Sometimes the simple patterns are the hardest! At least for me.
And I'm still reading Spectacle by Pamela Newkirk, about an African man who was "taken" from his homeland and displayed at the Bronx Zoo in 1906. I think books like these are important in understanding how race is and was perceived in the United States.

I'm joining up with Ginny to Yarn Along.

13 comments:

  1. The colors in your shawl are gorgeous - almost as though the shawl is singing! "Spectacle" looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you on easy patterns being hard. My brain always wants to make them more complicated than they are so I make way more mistakes than when I have to really concentrate on directions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband sounds like a keeper. Not mentioning your yarn buying. Monogamous sounds a good plan! I love the colours in your shawl. I go wrong with my knitting when I'm distracted and they end up gathering dust. Your book sounds an interesting historic account.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently, I've been working on multiple projects in both knitting and quilting. I'm enjoying it, but I'm limiting myself to no more than three project in each at a time.

    Love the colors in your shawl. I nearly always knit from a pattern, especially if it has a repeat of multiple rows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am exactly the same! I always have at least two books going and too many knitting and sewing projects!
    I will definitely look out for that book. I think it is important to read books like that, ones that make us feel uncomfortable so we don't become complacent. There are examples of that in Australian history as well, where Aboroginals were sent to England to be displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your first paragraph had me laugh out loud! The last one, I had to reread a few times to make sure I had that right.

    Here's to a good read and a good knitting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Yep, lots of projects and lots of books over here, too. I'm much better about monogamous reading when it's a novel I love. Nonfiction or parenting books... I need to have more on the go. Love the shawl -- good luck with the netting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have wonderful hubbies. Mine never complains about my yarn either. I LOVE your shawl. Sometimes the easiest projects ARE The hardest. Ahem...me and garter. May be this means our minds need some challenge with our craft and thats' good for improving our skills!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time I see a Reyna I want to cast it on! But I am done with triangle shawls, so I pull myself back from the edge. Again and again and again!!! Love the colors in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. UGH That happens to me ALL THE TIME with those YO, K2tog patterns. How can it be that difficult??? I hope that you are able to get it figured out - using hibernated projects is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, I admit - I laughed at the title! And, wow - you always read such great books! Thank you! (and knitting monogamy is not all it is cracked up to be... says the woman with multiple projects going)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As they say variety is the spice of life. Well that is for knitting and reading of course, not your marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am always suspicious when something is called "easy"! Whatever it is makes you feel terrible if it's not easy for you. That book sounds interesting, tragic though.

    ReplyDelete