Sunday, March 19, 2017

A Class With Laura Nelkin: Swoon!

Madison may not be a big city, but it is a big knitting city. We had our Knit In this weekend, and the line-up of teachers was amazing. Saturday morning, a friend and I took a class on knitting with bead from Laura Nelkin, author of Knockout Knits.
The class was amazing. Did you know that you should never use beads on single-ply yarn? Me, neither. It's not strong enough. Also to be avoided are wool/silk blends and cashmere. I also learned that you need to use bigger beads when you are placing beads (like with a crochet hook) than when you pre-string beads.

This is the Stellanti Shawl, which was our favorite one of her samples. The beaded sections are super easy so this is definitely going in my queue. Nelkin is quite funny. She described more difficult projects as being "anti-Alzheimer's patterns."
I do love knitting jewelry, though I haven't made any for quite some time. Nelkin's samples gave me plenty of inspiration.

The class was just for a half day, so we shopped after scarfing down some sandwiches from home. It turns out that I am quite the Wisconsin shopper. The two reddish/pink skeins are going into a second Perhaps, Perhaps. They were dyed by Sun Valley Fibers (Mount Horeb, Wis.), and I cannot say enough good things about their yarns. They are stunningly beautiful, a joy to knit with, and hold up well to wear.
I could not resist the mini skeins from Ewetopia (Viroqua, Wis.). All my favorite colors in one package! I'm looking for the right poncho or shawl pattern. Let me know if you have any ideas -- though I should mention that the yarn is DK weight.

Last but not least is the gradient cake in blue and purple, which I bought to make an Antarktis out of, but now I'm thinking it would make a good Stellanti. Such tough choices.!The yarn is by Knit Circus, which is right here in Madison. Yes, I am lucky!

This seems like enough for one post, so I'll tell you about fair isle with Mary Jane Mucklestone later!

10 comments:

  1. Oh what fabulous choices to make. The colours are eye poppingly beautiful too xx That course sounds like it was lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to take a class from a professional knitter. l love your shopping loot - such pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness. That yarn.....wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was working all weekend, so I missed the Knit-In!! Wahh! Better for my wallet this way, I guess :)
    But the Laura Nelkin class looks like it was AWESOME. I did my first beaded project last summer and it was totally fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - great acquisitions!! Such pretty colors. And the class sounds great. Love those beaded bracelets. Can't wait to hear about your second class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of her kits... hmmm, inspiration to get it out and MAKE it might have been spurred by your post! XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im so so happy you had a great time. next year I MUST Go. Will you remind me?
    I love your yarn adds! and I mostly love the anti alzheimer quote

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOOH I am so jealous. A great workshop and great yarn. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How great to take a class from such a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you! I love Nelkin's patterns. Sounds like a great class. Love your new yarns. Have you seen the new book Curls? It has some great shawl patterns for dk yarn.

    ReplyDelete