Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Getting Back to Real Life.

 Coming home from vacation can be hard, don't you think? All that time to enjoy life and see new things -- and then it's back to work. While teachers in my district don't officially start until tomorrow, I've been tackling some of the paperwork that dogs special ed teachers.  I know I'll be glad in the long run that I got a head start on things.
With all the focus on work, I've been doing mindless knitting on my Three-Color Cowl. It's a pleasant TV knit, but not terribly exciting to make. It did get me through the latest season of Orange is the New Black. I thought this season was excellent, but also disturbing.

I'm nearing the end of White Trash by Nancy Isenberg. I don't think it lives up to the reviews. It starts out focused, but seems to lose focus by the halfway point. Kind of mad I bought it in hardcover.
Last night I started T.C. Boyle's novel, The Harder They Come. As always, his writing sparkles with wit and word choice. I'm hoping it's good.

Join me over at Ginny's to Yarn Along.

16 comments:

  1. The kids went back yesterday in my old school district but our local kids have until the 29th this year. From all the yelling and screaming I'm hearing from up the road they are taking advantage of their final days and the cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started that cowl awhile back, but gave up on it fairly fast - not sure why. Maybe one day I will try it again! I didn't get anything on my blog today for this "prompt" - but will try to get something on there tomorrow! Heaven knows I have enough projects going! Should find something to take a photo of!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cowl is lovely, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck as you start your new year! (in a new position if my memory's correct?) The summer sure went by quickly, didn't it? Love the cowl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree...the 3 colored cowl was not an exciting knit....but I read the whole time I was knitting on it, so it was perfect for that (in fact, I ended up making two because I wasn't quite finished with my book!!) Queue up those holiday gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I start on Monday and have done nothing to prepare, despite my good intentions. Will welcome some structure but will miss my beach time. Oh well. Happy new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cowl is very pretty!

    Wishing you a good classroom year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to knit that one day soon, it's on the to be knit pile in my brain. Good luck with the school year and hopefully you will be safer than last year...I recall some incidents!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am sad to read your review of White Trash - I saw it on PBS Newshour recently and had moved it onto my read list... now I am not so sure I want to. Your color choices of the cowl are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have been back in school for three weeks, isn't that crazy? Welcome home and enjoy your last few days of freedom.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Special ed teachers are angels. I love your cowl. Just wondering does your caffeine intake go up during the school months?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love easy knits for those times you can't focus on the knitting. Right now I could use that since both items on the needles are cabled! I need something boring!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep seeing that cowl - love the colors. Back to work for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that cowl. Good luck with back to school! I feel like the summer just flew by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, cozy-looking cowl! You always have such interesting books in progress. Must check those out from the library. Our move to Grosse Pointe has made me even more keenly aware of issues of race and class -- I used to live on the north side of Chicago and work on the south side, so I thought I was well-versed. Not so much...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, coming home from vacation is hard work. I am cheering you on as you transition into your new school year and teaching situation. Happy stitching in the midst of your transitioning!

    ReplyDelete