Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Scratch That

A week ago, my plan was to finish a shawl I started in 2013. Well, you know what they say about the road to hell... That project was put back into hibernation because Baby Ma'ayan turns 1 at the end of the month. I really MUST knit her a gift, don't you think?

So I've cast on -- even though I said I wouldn't -- for something new: a monster from The Big Book of Monsters by Rebecca Danger. I've checked this book out of the library a number of times; finally I have an excuse to try making one of the projects.

Danger recommends that you knit her monsters using magic loop, a technique that, frankly, terrifies me. But I have always wanted to learn how to do it -- I love the idea of knitting two socks at once! -- so I'm taking the plunge. I have managed to start the first leg on dpns, as instructed, and slip it onto the circular needle.

I've also scratched all the books I was looking at last week. Instead, I'm reading Timothy' Egan's Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher, the story of Edward Curtis, the photographer who made it his mission to get photos of the disappearing Native American peoples. Egan, famous for his book about the Great Depression, is truly a great writer. The first couple chapters were fascinating.

So, then we get to what I didn't read:
I am not one of those people who has to finish every book she starts – in fact, I’ve become the opposite. Here are some of the books that I put down:
Hunger Makes Me A Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein. I love Brownstein in her Portlandia role, but her autobiography just didn’t grab me. I’m sure someone who is younger and loved her band (Sleater-Kinney) would find it fascinating.
A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler. I loved her first six or seven books, but haven’t liked any of the later ones. The writing in Chapter 1 of this book is downright amateur. She uses conversation quite awkwardly to convey background information. I didn’t get very far before I slammed this one shut.
Mercy Snow by Tiffany Baker. First, let me say that this book involves knitting! It’s actually a pretty decent read for a piece of popular fiction (yes, I’m a bit of a snob). I just wasn’t in the mood for it.
 Join me in checking out what everyone else is knitting and reading this week with Ginny's Yarn Along.

13 comments:

  1. Ahhh, so nice to hear someone agree with me about Anne Tyler. I have found it painful to try to read her recent books. And, they have seem to become repetitive. The monsters look like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your little monster! Fun project! Magic loop scared me too. Then I just did it, and now I use it all the time. Not so,bad really. Let us know how the monster turns out! Xoxo,Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magic loop is my favorite technique for knitting in the round. I'm playing around with using 2 circular needles for a class I am going to teach and I'm not loving it. Those Rebecca Danger monsters are so darn cute! I have heard they can be addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm eager to see what you think of ML. I am not a fan but I love to read what others think about it. Love that you are knitting a monster :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. IM off to look for the book Short Nights of the shadow catcher

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will love magic loop. The worst part is the cast on and you were smart to start it the way you know how and transfer over. I do that now myself and it makes it so much easier.
    I used to go to a Knit Night with someone who made those monsters and they were so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magic loops is fun but I cannot handle all the yarn and the tangles! :) Good luck! Your monster is going to be adorable. I cannot wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the Knitted Monster book. I'm planning Momma and the Babies for my granddaughter soon. Can't wait to see your finished monster.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Her monster patterns are so cute. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of Rebecca Danger's patterns I've done have been fun, so I'll bet you'll enjoy this one, too. Don't know about the magic loop way though... I'm reading The Sandcastle Girls by Bohjalian about the Armenian genocide, very sad so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I finished Spool of Blue Thread, but was NOT impressed. It was a very disjointed book and by the middle you just didn't care one whit what happened to the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have made several of those monsters, I love them,
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. I normally love Tyler but agree about the latest. Felt boring

    ReplyDelete