Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Not Tired of It Yet

I've been nibbling away at the Quicksilver shawl I started back in January at the Sun Valley retreat and I am enjoying every stitich:
I love how the ivory sections contrast with the pink stripes. When I started this project, the directions seemed so complicated, but they are well-written and now the entire pattern makes sense to me. I think it will be great as a summer shawl -- one for air conditioning and evenings.
 
I decided against going to Knitting Guild last night, even though it's always good. In my own reading and on NPR, I've been encountering a lot of information about how harmful a lack of sleep is. Too little sleep contributes to weight gain, irritability, inflexibily -- all things I want to avoid!  As someone who has to start work by 7:20 a.m. (at the latest!), I struggle to get enough sleep. I really need to be in bed by 8 or 8:30, but it's hard to do that and also have a social life!
 
So, I went home, had a bowl of soup, and got into bed with a novel I've been wanting to read, The Blazing World by Siri Hustvedt. Before long I was drifting off. I must do this more often.
 
Join me in Keep Calm Craft On with Nicole.

12 comments:

  1. I love that shawl - what an effective pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lacy parts. So cute.

    I often have to remind myself not to get TOO busy. But, sleep? As much as I would love it, sometimes it just won't happen. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors you chose, too! And I've been doing a lot of reading about the impact of sleep, as well. I read an article that said that just half an hour of sleep deficit a night causes all sorts of hormonal issues with stress, but man, it's hard to get 8 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good shawl pattern that keeps you entertained. Especially one that you know is going to get some wear and use when you finish it. :)

    I have been reflective about my sleeping habits lately as well. However I have not been as good about getting the sleep I need. I did manage a 6.5 hour uninterrupted sleep, which is a feat for me. The downside was, this was all I got ... again, ha!

    Time for change. Yours is a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the shawl, really brilliant pattern. I was in bed early myself last night with a brutal headache. I am not sure I got much rest but it felt great to read and snuggle in bed all by myself.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. That peppermint shawl is really knitting up nicely. !!
    We do need good sleep. I've not been sleeping well since ROzzy passed, but I think i"ll get back in the swing soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that shawl, the colours are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Shawl!
    Treat yourself to sleep and quiet nights whenever you need them!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore your knitting colors and they way they look together :) I go to bed very early and get up early and I get at least eight hours of sleep, any less and I feel awful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shawl is beautiful so far!!! :)
    I am an early to bed, early to rise gal...and often need a nap in the afternoon. I am all about good sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. As the mother of small children, i can only fantasise about going to bed with a book! The shawl is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always nod off if I go to bed with a book. I must read earlier in the day if I want to remember anything. Shawl looks great. I too like the ivory and pink together.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete