Sunday, March 15, 2015

First Spring Photo

It was a weekend of retreats -- but very little knitting.

On Saturday I drove up to Wisconsin Dells for a writing retreat. About 20 of us gathered at a nature camp and we both hiked and wrote outside. For the first time since fall, the sun's warmth promised that winter is over.  I love views like this one where you can see the last vestiges of winter floating down the Wisconsin River.
Why is it that you can drive 45 miles away from your home and it feels like you've entered a different world?

This morning I drove back to participate in a seminar connecting mindfulness with the Jewish tradition. For the first time, I ate an entire meal mindfully, meaning we ate in silence and concentrated on every bite. I was actually one of the slowest eaters. This was unexpected as I usually inhale my food. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it was an amazing experience. A simple egg salad, that would barely notice at a typical meal, turns out to contain a multitude of flavors and textures.

I hope you had an enriching weekend and are ready to face the week!

5 comments:

  1. The mindfulness seminar sounds very interesting. Glad you had such a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im so happy you had peaceful moments in the retreat. I know you needed to recharge.
    Prayer does that.....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a good time. Enriching is a great word. I gotta use it more often. When I went to a retreat years ago that happened to be at a Zen Center, we had silent meals. It really was an experience. Really reflective, especially after when you realize what a marked difference it is to your usual meals and meal interactions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dells are such a beautiful place. I am so glad you had some wonderful experiences. We could learn a lot from being more mindful all the time.
    Hugs to you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds lovely! I used to meditate ... just started getting back into yoga. Need to get back into all of that stuff!! I can't wait for signs of Spring ... we still have about 1-2 feet of snow on the ground, it was melting, but its been back in the 30s and lower lately ...

    ReplyDelete