Sunday, March 29, 2015

Busy, Busy, Busy!

 Have you read the book Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain? Even though the title says it all, the book is still worth reading -- especially for those of us who crave, even need, lots of time alone. I had no idea that there were so many other people out there who savored solitude.

Much of my mental real estate is devoted to balancing time alone with social time. I'm not a hermit, so I need both, but the right balance remains elusive. I get irritable when I don't have enough time alone, but I get depressed without enough contact with other people.

All of which is to say that I am enjoying a day of bad weather on the first weekend of my spring break. I'm trying to balance creative time with, well, cleaning. I wouldn't want unannounced company to show up today because the house just isn't presentable.

The birth of a pair of Trellis Socks
I've started a pair of Trellis Socks, the pattern than I designed, in reddish-pink. The yarn is Trekking XXL, which never fails me. I need a pair to use as models for the pattern. I hope to have rough directions drawn up this week so I'll be ready for any test knitters who might be interested. I'm going to release it as a free pattern, but I still think a test knit or two would be good.

As for being busy. Whew! Last weekend I was in Washington, D.C., for a training on Mindfulness in the Classroom. The training, put on by  Mindful Schools, was awesome. The instructors really know how to teach and have suggestions for working with the hardest kids (something many trainers like to skip over). And meeting 100 teachers from the eastern United States was fascinating.

Me at the National Gallery
The expense of the trip was worth it because in addition to the training, I got to spend time with my brother, his wife and their daughter; see my old friend Jeff; and spend a half day at the National Gallery.

I flew back on Sunday evening and had to be ready for an IEP meeting at 8 a.m. on Monday morning! The week was relentless. Early in the week, a student I don't know walked up to me in the hallway and pushed me; then, Friday before lunch, a student burst out of a room and smashed the door into my right hand, smack on my index finger. The entire finger is black/purple and swollen, but I can still knit and bead -- so it's not a tragedy!

But getting injured, even by accident, is emotionally exhausting, so spring break comes at a good time. I have four days to recuperate before heading off to Miami to visit my daughter.

Well, this seems like it's more than enough for one post. Now I can get caught up on your posts!

6 comments:

  1. An interesting post - I too find it hard to find that happy balance between solitude and social time. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - a hat pattern and a sock pattern one after another! Looks like you've got lots going on creatively. I'm curious to see the Trellis socks ... but you know me and socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. exhausting reading about your week! phew. growing up an only child, I absolutely NEED the solitary time, and actually prefer it over social time. I think I could easily have retreated to Walden Pond with Thoreau! (as long as I had a knitting basket with me!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief, you've been busy! Sorry I didn't get to pop up to DC to visit you, but it sounds likes ou had plenty going on already. Enjoy your break, mine begins Friday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry you were hurt but boy am I glad that you can still knit, I think you are a diehard knitter :) Lovely weekend and I have to balance socializing with aloneness. Too much of one or the other and I'm off kilter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the book QUIET. IT fascinated me. Im not really a very quiet person, but i need my downtime more and more now.
    I love your cast on!
    and Im so sorry about your students. My son is a teacher and his kids are acting out before Break too. I will tell him about your conference.

    ReplyDelete