Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Introducing the Kitty Hat

 I always swore I had no interest in designing my own knitting patterns, but the urge seems to be creeping up on me. Meet the Kitty Hat:
What do you think? Can you tell that the pink faces are supposed to be cat faces? I think they look more like mouse faces, but that fits the cat theme, too, I think.

The hat is knit from Berroco Vintage, which was left over from The Favourite Things Cowl and the patterns are from a variety of sources, but mostly Mary Jane Muckelstone's books. The cat is from her 150 Scandinavian Motifs book.
The hardest part was figuring out the right number of stitches to cast on and what size needles to use. The hat is wearable but the slouchy top is not exactly right, so I'm working on a second hat, but this one features sheep. I am hoping to come up with at least one hat design that I can release as a free pattern this summer.

I made up this hat as I went along, which was even more fun that watching self-patterning sock yarn play out. This is the thing about knitting; it has endless, fascinating variations!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful. That hat is adorable! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I think the top cats look kinda like foxes in a way, but I can get the cat idea also. Love that you created this with scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool!!! You just knit away and design these beautiful things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! Lovely pattern and you've chosen a really nice mix of colours too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's purr rect
    Catastic and
    amazing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness it is so wonderful, I can't believe you just popped that out like nothing. It is amazing and I am in awe that you designed it.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete