Wednesday, September 3, 2014

WIP: Yes, I Am Finally Back

It is quite rare for me to have a two-week gap in blogging. I think I can genuinely blame my job. Between trainings and getting ready for the new school year, I have been working 12 or more hours a day. I'm hoping all this preparation will pay off when the students show up today. At any rate, I do apologize to my blog friends and I promise to catch up with my blog reading this week!

Though I haven't been blogging, there has been knitting. I've been focusing on this pair of socks because it is going to be a holiday gift. Its an original design, and I do like the way it looks. It feels even better, I discovered when I finished sock No. 1.  I do find that it's a slow lace pattern, so I am determined not too leave it until the last moment.

While it looks like I'm going to have a lot of challenging students this year, I am trying to stay focused on the positives. Right now I am grateful that my own children are doing well. They both started graduate school last week and are happy with their programs. A mom really can't ask for more.

And this afternoon, I stopped at Walgreens to pick up key locks for some students who can't manage combinations. I ran into a student from 5 or 6 years ago. I gotta say that this kid was kind of a mess in 8th grade. However, it turns out that he graduated from high school and has a full-time job with a pest-control company. I would like to think that my work does a little bit of good in the world.

12 comments:

  1. Isn't is always interesting to run into people years later? I ran into lots of old teachers over the summer and it was so fun telling them my story. I love your socks by the way. The color goes perfect with that lace - I am sure the recipient will love them as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lace pattern in your socks and that gorgeous red. The start of a new school year is a busy time. I hope your first day went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for teachers! Back to school is a busy time and I wish you a wonderful school year. It's good to focus on the positive, because you know that other crap, well it's usually mixed in. I have discovered the love of sock knitting the past year and a half or so. It truly soothes me in those busy or stressful times. Stick one in the purse, but lace? I haven't really tried that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MIssed you.
    glad you are back. Im sure you help students in their lives!!!!! Teachers rock
    love love love the rust socks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you do more than you'll ever know! Sorry to hear everything has been hectic, it should calm down soon. Those socks are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice socks! Maybe you'll share the pattern? Hope your first day of school went well! Your job is an important one and your students are very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the socks. From a student who could be interesting in the classroom (sarcastic, slightly deaf and unmotivated if the subject wasn't entertaining to my brain), thank you, thank you, thank you! For all the teachers I have no way to contact to say, THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You KNOW you do. I can tell from what you write that you put a lot of love into teaching!

    Glad you got to see "the fruits of your labor" .......hope you have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure your work is very worthwhile and how blessed you are to see just a glimmer of success in the young man!

    Love those happy socks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work has done a LOT of good in the lives of those young people. Good luck with the new school year.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your work sounds challenging, but rewarding. So glad your ex-student found a good path through, and I'd wager work you out in helped that

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's the very challenging jobs that are the most rewarding - I'll bet you make more a different in these children lives than you even realise!

    ReplyDelete