Wednesday, August 20, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Plain Vanilla Is Never Boring ...

... if you use the right yarn.

I never get tired of Opal's self-patterning yarn. Yesterday I started this sock:

The yarn is Opal Smile, color number 7937. I just love their color combinations, especially when they are unusual but yet harmonious. I have also found that Opal makes the most hard-wearing sock yarn around. It's a little stiff when you knit, but it softens with washings and wear. I just cast in 64 stitches, do an inch of 2 x 2 ribbing and switch to stockinette because that's the only way the pattern really shines.

I was hoping to squeeze some knitting in during my class on teaching literacy, which runs yesterday and today, but the class is engaging enough that I wasn't even tempted to pull out knitting yesterday!

Spending the entire day yesterday in a school building made the oncoming school year feel very close, so I'm trying to enjoy the last few days.

I'll be linking up with Keep Calm and Craft On today.



16 comments:

  1. Your yarn is gorgeous. Like you I think the colour combinations are lovely.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color combination! I love knitting socks because they are the perfect project on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm somewhat addicted to self-patterning yarn myself ... all that fun and no extra ends to weave in. And if you're going knit socks, it's nice if they last!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when I get to the spotted parts. That's the FUN part of the yarn.

    Opal makes a great yarn. Your socks are gonna be adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did this summer go? I've never tried that yarn before, it definitely looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Self-patterning yarn and simple socks . . . perfect combination. Love your yarn choice and the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still it is so nice to know you have it near by if needed.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, how much do I love to see patterned, variegated, striping whatever yarn knit up in socks. That yarn looks absolutely lovely and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like another great pair of socks underway. I love Opal yarn, too. Enjoy these last few days of vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to poach some of your sock knitting mojo! You are so very, very fast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those colors work so well together, no wonder you never bore of the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes I see yarn and think yuck - other times I see it and think wow I want that! This is one of the latter times :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely yarn that is working out perfectly. Glad your class was interesting, we have another 2 weeks here before school starts, trying to make the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I LOVE self-patterning yarn for socks. It's almost embarrassing how entertaining I find watching it as I knit. My old self-patterning favorite is no longer made, so I'll have to keep an eye out for Opal.............when I get through my current sock yarn stash, that is........

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a pretty colourway - I do like the teal/magenta combo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I completely agree about Opal yarn and plain vanilla socks - they are so much fun to knit and wear!

    ReplyDelete