Wednesday, September 10, 2014

WIP: Same Sock


Still working on the Autumn Trellis socks. If you tuned in last week, you can see that progress is slow. I'm not a slow knitter, but this pattern is sure going slow for me!
 
I think that the issue is the type of double decrease used to create the lace pattern: You slip two stitches as if to knit 2 together; then you knit the next stitch; and lastly you slip the two slipped stitches over the knit stitch. It takes me a few seconds to make sure I'm picking up both the slipped stitches. I know I could probably shop for sharper needles, but I simply own too many needles to even want to add another set!

Do you have any experience with this type of double decrease?

I got through the first five days of school with no major bumps! I can see that this is going to be an unusually hectic year. My students have a wide range of academic abilities, so I will be making lots of modifications in curriculum. I have some students with challenging behaviors, but I seem to be establishing good relationships with them, so I'm feeling optimistic!

In the meantime, I am frantically organizing and pricing items for my Crafter's Destash Yard Sale, set for Saturday. Keith put up a notice on Craig's List, so I have to be ready!

7 comments:

  1. I'm sure you can handle whatever the school year brings. As for the socks, I have been doing a chevron project that is the same way with the decreases. I could be so much further if they were just a bit faster. But it looks good, so I guess that's all that matters :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a busy weekend for you. Hope the destash goes well.

    Your sock looks great. I think any kind of decreases slow down the knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to establish that great relationship with those difficult children, they need all the love and care they can get. Hope your sale is wonderful.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the sale! I love your socks, and the color is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the socks :) I've done a lot of that type of decrease (it's the main decrease for the sock blanket), and I find that it's a lot easier if I slip the two stitches together, rather than if I slip them one at a time - they tend to "stick together" that way.

    Of course, if you're already doing this, then I'm not much help :-P

    ReplyDelete
  6. as a matter of fact that is the double decrease on my arrowhead fingerless right now. Yes you do have to be careful, are you slipping as to knit or to purl? slipping as to purl seems easier to me…I'm not sure that' s allowed but I do it.

    ReplyDelete