Tuesday, September 23, 2014

WIP: It's A New One

Earlier this month, I blogged about how I want to make the Harriet Sweater. I bought the yarn and pattern at the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Festival. Lucky for me, my partner in yarn accumulation saw that the Harriet Sweater is adapted from Cottage Creations' Babies & Bear Sweater, so I picked up that pattern, too.

For once, I am going to think before I plunge into a major project. I am going to make the baby sweater first. I think it's a good idea because the construction of the sweater is unique: You knit it in two halves, beginning with the cuff of each arm, and then you use the Kitchner stitch to sew the backs together. Suzy has made the baby sweater before and assures me it's a bit strange but not too hard.

Besides, I just felt like casting-on something new and different. This school year is shaping up to be a challenging one, so I wanted to treat myself. It's a hectic week with the Jewish New Year starting tonight. I will take off Thursday to observe the holiday, which I always enjoy. Still, it's hard to miss a day at school. Special ed students, even more than other middle-schoolers, crave predictability!

I'm linking up with Ginny for Keep Calm, Craft On.




9 comments:

  1. The yarn you chose looks so soft. Seems like a good idea to start with the baby size.

    You addled what I am reading. I am reading The Inn At Rose Harbor by Debbie Macomber.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting construction. The FOs of the jacket look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the look of that yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That construction sounds intriguing...can't wait to see it come together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for new projects! I'm excited for you to show us this sweater construction as it grows. Wishing you an excellent school year, even if it is challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New year!!! Apples and honey for all!
    I LOVE YOUR baby yarn choice
    I am interested in the construction and your assessment of how HARD or easy it is...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Casting on something new is a real treat isn't it? Now I need to finish something!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will love that pattern; it is such an interesting knit. Great yarn choice. Now I need to find out more about the Harriett sweater; what is it?

    ReplyDelete