Monday, March 17, 2014

Yes, It Was Awesome

I had forgotten how invigorating it is to take a really good class.

Learning to make the Latvian Scalloped Braid was fun. It was hard. It is definitely not intuitive. But the end result is worth the struggle. Here's the sample I completed:

Mary Germain taught the class. A former owner of a yarn store in Milwaukee, Wis., she has become an expert on Latvian knitting. She traveled there in 2001 and then went to Estonia in 2003. She has self-published a some books with her friend Sandy De Master. Mary explained the process very thoroughly and provided written instructions. I highly recommend taking a class with her if you have the opportunity!

Now I have to find a pattern that I like that has a Latvian Braid. I know there are a lot of patterns out there, but I need to find one that is not too daunting.

The marketplace was smaller than usual, but the quality was awesome .... but that's another post!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very worthwhile class! I like Carolyn Vance's Estonian Sock Hat ... that's got braids, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so complicated! I bet it was satisfying to master those tricky stitches though - it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a good time in class. I've never heard of Latvian Braid before. Looks interesting to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the COOOLest knit braid I've ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a very hard technique, I applaud you for getting it all handled because it is beautiful. love the yarn colors.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Impressed :-) Latvian knitting looks super complicated, which of course is all the appeal!

    ReplyDelete