Wednesday, March 26, 2014

WIP Wednesday: From the Bottom of the Basket

This is embarrassing: I started this pair of socks in 2010. Yes, 2010!

They are my first -- and only (so far, at least) -- attempt at toe-up socks, the Diagonal Lace pattern from Wendy Johnson's first book, Socks from the Toe Up.

If you knit toe-up, you can see that I got stuck while making the gusset.  I pulled these socks out this weekend and sat down with Wendy's book. Strangely, the mistakes that had inspired me to abandon the project were in the lace, which is pretty simple. I ripped back a few rows and got going again. I think I'm actually going to finish this sock!

I'd like to think that my knitting skills have improved since 2010 :)

See what other knitters are working on with Tami Amis.

10 comments:

  1. you are soooooo close to wearing these lovely things!! and pink for spring....maybe you were just waiting for the flowers to bloom! looking GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That yarn looks so soft. Looks like you'll have not only beautiful but soft socks in your drawer pretty soon. Good luck finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have a lovely pair of socks when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are really pretty. Looks like you'll have new socks pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the color. Keep at them….so what if they are MATURE socks now

    ReplyDelete
  6. Progress is always nice to see! Great socks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that book! I love toe-up socks. That way I can just keep knitting the leg till I run out of yarn! I'm sure we'll be seeing these as a FO in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those socks are so pretty!!! I cannot wait to see them done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it great that you've improved so much in such a short time that what stopped you in your tracks back then was a piece of cake this time! They're a lovely pattern - I can't decide if I want to attempt my first pair of socks or my first sweater next, these are tempting me to try socks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look perfect to me! I love the color and the lace is beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete