Monday, April 10, 2017

Taking the Sad with the Good

It's Monday of spring break and a pretty busy day. For one thing, I am packing because I leave very early tomorrow for Miami, where I'll be spending a few days with my daughter.  I'm alternating packing with cooking for Passover, which begins this evening.
Among other things, I'm making Chocolate Caramel Crackers (with matzoh). It's a Smitten Kitchen recipe, so you know it's delicious.
Also delicious: Valdani embroidery thread. I blame Kat for this new obsession. She turned me on to Bonnie Sennott, who is an accomplished embroiderer and a wonderful knit designer, too. Bonnie mentioned that she used this "gourmet" thread, so I, of course, had to try it. It is indeed lovely.

Those are some good things. Here is the sad:
Keith had to put down Weeko a few days ago. She'd had renal failure for over a year and took a turn for the worse a couple weeks ago. Even after six days with the vet, she was lethargic and refused to eat. Weeko was a very anxious cat who hated the vet, so he had a vet come to the house. She passed in his arms. She was his cat. Even after living with me for a decade, she hissed at me. Still, I do feel her absence. She was just 12, so Keith wasn't ready to say good-bye.

And speaking of veterinarians ... Last weekend Seth received his official lab coat in the Blue Coat Ceremony, which marks the near-end of the third year of vet school. For a long time, he didn't think he'd go to college, so I am still amazed by how much he has accomplished.
In a few weeks he'll be done with classwork and begin his year of rotations. I was pretty darn proud. I may have even shed a tear or two. It's hard to believe that a year from now he'll be a real dog doctor.

16 comments:

  1. Valdani threads are so rich, aren't they? Love your colors. So sorry about Weeko. It's never easy. Congratulations to Seth - what an accomplushment. Safe travels to Miami and enjoy your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a small world, this world of knit bloggers. Kathy B (compassionknit) turned me on to your blog. All three of us are in WI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to say congrats to the nearly-vet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you are headed to sunny days and a visit with your daughter! Reading through your posts since the last of January I am amazed by how much you have read and are creating, and I can imagine how much stress you must have felt this last term as you invested in caring for all of those around you. The physical effects of depression have challenged me to find help through , counsel, medication, rest, and exercise. Now that I know depression is a challenge for you as well, I will be cheering you on to continue to feel better. I am sorry that you and yours have had to say good-bye to a furry friend. I celebrate Seth's achievements with you and hope you all have many blessings in the days ahead! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a safe journey and a relaxing and adventurous spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to Seth. That is quite a wonderful accomplishment.

    And I'm so so sorry to hear about Weeko. She looks like she was a beautiful girl.

    Have a safe and happy trip to Miami! You'll surely enjoy some warm weather while you are there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to Seth! So sorry to hear about Weeko, it is so sad to lose a pet at any stage of life and especially when it is sooner than you imagine it might be. Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear of the loss. Even the less than best pets make a hole when they leave us.
    Happy Passover. Those chocolate matzos are good aren't they? Congrats on the boy. He looks so handsome in his coat.
    Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Take care, and have a good holiday.

    Everyone at our house will say a special prayer for the sweet kitty. I'm glad she is not sick anymore, but it sucks.

    Congrats to your son - he'll be doing good work, you *should* be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So Sorry for Keith and Weeko. Renal is such a hard disease for humans and cats! she was beautiful. I was thinking about our past cats as I fell asleep last night. They are so unique each of them. Your VET son is looking great! My vet sister is coming to visit me tomorrow from Minnesota! Shehas never met Fezzik. her hubby, Jaime Modiano, is giving a talk at a VEt conf in Madison tomorrow. He studies cancers in dogs. we may get to see him too, but for sure Michelle is coming to Lake Geneva to see us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry about Weeko. I like how you described him as Keith's cat with the hissing. Gave us a sense of the character and individual Weeko was. aw.

    But congratulations to your son! I'm so impressed and happy for both him and your family. You're a very caring family aren't you? People who want to help others, 2 legs and 4.

    Lastly. I'm a huge fan of Smitten Kitchen, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I am so sorry about Weeko!

    However, I am happy for your son! And those threads! I can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. congrats for your son!!! wow! that is exciting. I am sorry for your loss, losing a pet is difficult even if it hissed at you. Have a blessed passover with your daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry about Weeko, even with the hissing it's still a loss. Congratulations to Seth and I hope you have a lovely weekend with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a great visit with your daughter, and enjoy your spring break!

    ReplyDelete