Saturday, April 15, 2017

A Pretty Awesome Week in Miami

I flew home from Miami today, and as good as it is to be home, I miss my daughter! Even though she has her comprehensive exams next month, she found time to to show me a lot of the city.

One morning we headed south from Miami to the agricultural area around Homestead, where I spent $21 on one piece of fruit:
It wasn't fully ripe before I left, but it was developing a texture like cotton candy and tasted very good.

We toured the home and estate of Villa Vizcaya, built in the early 20th century by an agricultural industrialist.
I snapped this photo of Rachel there. It's right in Coconut Grove, which is where she is living. It is an incredibly adorable neighborhood with lots of restaurants and boutiques. Not to mention a great bookstore.
The other very posh place we visited was the Biltmore Hotel, where Rachel had made reservations for us to have high tea. Isn't that sweet?
The tea (as in the drink) was the best we've ever had, and the food was amazing. It was the first time I've had Devonshire cream, but I hope it won't be the last.
It was a lot of food, fortunately, because we then headed off to one of Rachel's seminars. The 2 1/2 hour class flew by because her professor is so brilliant. A Cuban immigrant himself, he was discussing current attitudes toward immigrants in America. I am so touched that she brings me to her classes when I visit.

On my last day, we went to Little Haiti, which is definitely not a bastion of luxury.
It's a fascinating area. We visited the famous Liberi Mapou Creole and French Bookstore, and wandered around the neighborhood, which has the feel of a Caribbean island. Rachel was brave and ordered goat for lunch. She said it was good!

I know that many of you understand that feeling of loss when you say good-bye to one of your children. But, as long as she is happy and flourishing, I am OK.

15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful visit! The good thing about having your chicks spread out is that it gives you the opportunity for lots of adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful week's visit. I agree, it is hard to say good-bye, but it's also great, as you also say, that they are happy and flourishing. Who could hope for more? Hope you are more relaxed, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your last line says it all. For me, I hate that my son lives all the way up in Virginia. But, the fact is that he LOVES it there and that is really what we want for our kids. As long as he is happy (and he IS), I am very happy for him.

    I'm glad you had such an interesting visit with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your visit and adventures sound perfect! I've never heard of the fruit, but for that price it must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi just found your blog, I've never heard of that fruit. I've seen many unusual ones at Waitrose. Glad it was nice, some people used to buy unusual fruits such as dragon fruit for dinner party table displays x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a restorative and sunny trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the high tea plans and class accompaniment plans. Your daughter is just so pretty!! glad you had a wonderful time. Sigh, I go through a bit of sadness at each departure from my grown kids. We are blessed to have great adult kids

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was hoping that feeling of loss would diminish with the years, but I guess not. Bitter sweet. Glad you had a good visit. Xoxo Andrea @ This Knitted Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Back! So glad you had such a nice visit. I love that you went to class with your daughter (who is so pretty) and high tea at the Biltmore must have been so cool/delicious. That fruit! Wow! What a price. I've never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun time! And, what gorgeous weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous weather, gorgeous views and your daughter is beautiful! I know EXACTLY how hard it is to say goodbye. it's not fun....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a fabulous trip! I would love to try that Guanabana! I'm touched your daughter invites you to her classes. It just implies such a good bond and respect. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous trip, you will need to get planning the next one for after her exams!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your lovely visit with your beautiful Rachel! You got to see a part of our country I haven't, but I enjoyed it through your experiences. I try not to say good-bye, but to look forward to the next time we are together...but it is difficult! xx

    ReplyDelete