Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Getting Things Off the Needles

I haven't had an FO for more than two months, so it's clearly time for me to focus and show a bit of knitterly discipline. I'm starting by near-monogamous knitting on the Three-Color Cashmere Cowl. It is a super-easy knit -- perfect for these evenings when I'm tired from adjusting to a new school.
I can show embroidery project that soaked up much of my summer because the Madison Contemporary Fiber Artists show opened this weekend. Here is my piece, Original Garden:
The main panel is all hand-embroidered with plain-old DMC thread. I drew the flowers as I went along. It was a much bigger undertaking than I realized at the beginning and I'm still kind of amazed that I finished it. Each flower is native to Wisconsin (which was required to be in the show).

The opening reception was Sunday, and I am so grateful to the friends and family who were able to come. The show is up through October at the Arboretum, so I hope to get back and take a better photo.

Last night I started Mao II by Don DeLillo. I have never gotten very far in any of his books, but this one is calling out to me. I can say that the beginning is much more readable than other DeLillo books I've tried. We'll see.

Joining up with Ginny for Yarn Along.

12 comments:

  1. Your embroidery is absolutely beautiful and the fact that you designed it too ..........that is the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cowl is a beautiful thing as is the embroidery which is a marvel. I tried a few lazy daisies recently and it wasn't pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cowl - it has been in my queue for some time now, perhaps this fall will be the time to knit it! And, that stitching! Wow - it is really beautiful!! I am in awe! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your piece for the show is amazing, so much detail!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious about your DeLillo now, since I kind of relate to your relationship with his writing. The cowl is coming along very nicely. I'm so behind in all my knitting, but it is what it is sometimes. Good luck with the new school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The embroidery is just gorgeous! Stunning, in fact. What a wonderful idea. If we make it to Madison before the show closes, I'll go look! I'm finally picking up my needles and hooks again, and it feels so good. Good luck with the new school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your embroidery is so beautiful! Nice work ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful color combination in your cowl! Oh and that embroidery...swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am trying to get UFO's out of my basket and off the needles. I have two shawls that have been on the sticks for over a year -- can't cast on new projects until they are off the sticks---or I have a moment of weakness and cast on!

    Your embroidery turned out great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous embroidery work! Like that cowl, too. You shouldn't feel guilty though as the first few weeks of school are killers!

    ReplyDelete